Calculate calculation validity

This topic is 6605 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

No, I dont stutter.

Has anyone worked up a calculation (or have some elegant ideas) that would evaluate a text field as if it were the text in a calculation, and return the text with invalid syntax highlighted and hints at why - a la the define calculation dialog box ('Field could not be found', 'an operator is expected here'...).

I can imagine how it could be done, but from my view it does not look like a simple task.

Thanks!

-Raz

It sounds like your thinking of an interpreter. This indeed would be a lot of work to make something comprehensive. But you might get some ideas from my FieldSubstitute() CF, which does this at a basic level:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/120434

It sounds like your thinking of an interpreter.

Righto, that's the word I was looking for. Any third party FM specific ones out there?

Yes, I already have your CF in my bag of tricks - pretty slick, thanks! I am hoping for something more robust, but it seems quite daunting...

-Raz

The "why" part is easy, using the EvaluationError() function.

Well, what do ya know? Thats half the job right there. Then I suppose it is just a matter of overlaying paired up parentheses from the most nested level out, and

Case(

EvaluationError(Evaluate(WordJustToLeft&ThatNestedLevel)) ; TextColor(ThatNestedLevel;RGB(255;0;0)); ThatNestedLevel

)

The pairing part might be a tough nut - any takers?

and I will check out the article, thanks!

-Raz

Edited by Guest
any takers

This topic is 6605 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.