Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Finding repeating value in other file

This topic is 6601 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Have 10 item repeating requisition form, want to bounce out to quote file and show all recent quotes for the item clicked. Problem is: it always finds a match for the 1st record in repeating. I formatted the repeating field to be a button which triggedrs the script. No matter which item I click on, uses the first value.

Give repeating fields a rest will you?? It's time to learn about multi criteria relations, indeed snassy stuff can be made with repeaters but as a rule of thumb - never use repeaters for data the user can get access to.

So you're into a listing of where the other items with same ID went to ...or???

--sd

I agree totally with Soren. Yep, I said that. :laugh2:

IIRC, FM vs. 7 had a problem with repeaters - only identifying the first one? I CRC (can't recall correctly) the version, but an Updater may be in order (until you replace the repeats or upgrade).

If you wish, I'll go on a hunt for the version/issue or maybe others remember. BTW, Soren may sound rigid at times but his heart is right ... as with everyone here. :wink2:

You don't describe how you modified the button for each row of the repeat and you have not provided your script. When asking for free help, it is better to provide more information. I absolutely agree that you should get rid of the repeats and using real related records. Even if you get your find script to work you still can't seperate out the line items for each order. But what you're trying to do can be done if you understand repeat[n] notation.

• Newbies

Thanks all. I had made the repeating field a button, assuming that if I clicked it on repeating item # 5 it would then by my triggered script, copy that selected value, which I then pasted into a find . . . . which unhappily, always finds item #1.

Anyway, I'll do a work-around, since "repeating" doesn't seem to be the way to go. I think that was the message I got!

I think that was the message I got!

It's not the only one, your line of questioning isn't particular openended - this is what Bruce says. There is no point in asking up from the hole you have dug yourself into.

You need to ask HOW to accomplish something, instead of telling what kind of ladder you used to get down into the hole ...metaphorically speaking. I won't help us much either to know that you picked the one painted red.

What you face is that people with say 10 years expirience, might have swept their mind for the silliest approaches, because they have normalized thier datastructures thousands of times so they do it intuitively today.

We all tend to remember successes much better than failures, so the finer details in a daft approach does not make a lasting impression in our memories.

It seems like you are performing damage control, clinging on to the final straw in Fentons comment:

You've pretty much hit the problem with repeating fields. They are no good for reports of how many of each item was sold. I mean, you could Find for a particular item, and get some idea that way; but that's a report.

Snipped from a previous thread of yours.

However am I a little in two minds if you're ready to investigate these templates:

http://www.kevinfrank.com/download/repeating-lookups.zip

...but beware it relies heavily on multi criteria relations as well! But Fenton couldn't guess that at the moment he replied your original question - filemaker 7 was released 3 month later, and even if he had been beta tester does it take a while to get used to new approaches.

--sd

Thanks all. I had made the repeating field a button, assuming that if I clicked it on repeating item # 5 it would then by my triggered script, copy that selected value, which I then pasted into a find . . . . which unhappily, always finds item #1.

Anyway, I'll do a work-around, since "repeating" doesn't seem to be the way to go. I think that was the message I got!

There were several parts to the message but one part is show us your script! You still haven't answered the question. What does your script look like? Why do we have to work so hard to help you?

"which unhappily, always finds item #1"

Well, it did what you told it to do. If you want the button over repeat 2 to extract the value stored in repeat 2 you have to be say so in your script. You would do this by passing a script parameter. The button for each repeat would pass a script parameter, such as yourfield[2] for the second repeat.

enter find mode

set field [whatever; get(scriptParameter)]

Perform find

See attached example.

RepeatScript.zip

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6601 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.