New Conditional Thread

Hoosty

This topic is 8326 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to create a conditonal list dependent upon the value of a certain field. I have read the other topics in the thread and have not found one that seems to answer this question.

Here is a better description of what i am going to attempt to do.

I have 2 value list and two fields.

Field A and Field B

Field A can have two values

Value A and Value B

now according to which value is placed in Field A determines the value list in Field B.

Can some of you gurus please share some of you knowledge to a newbie to this great Filemaker world. Thanks

Conditional value list should really be called relational value lists. This is because they are dynamic value lists that work through relationships.

Say you have a field (in your products file) called Manufacturer. You setup a value list in your orders file to read the the contents of the manufacturer field and put those into a value list and attach it to a global field. Then you have a relationship between Orders-gManufacturer and Products-Manufacturer. You use this relationship to setup a value list for produts.

This way your products value list will only contain those products from the manufacturer in the global field.

Now in your situation it seems like you have 2 completely seperate value lists and you want to be able to use either one or the other depending upon the value in the other field. Now in that case you will have to setup some kind of value list file which stores records with correspond to the contents of your value lists so that you can setup a relationship to it.

it would seem that you could use an if then stament or a case stament to do this.

The reason I do not want to create a enitre DB for this and do a relationship is doue to the fact there is on two suppliers I deal with and those suppliers only have at max 3 products.

I would like to add some functionality to the database I have just for some extra bells and whistles.

This topic is 8326 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.