Windows XP SP2 Workaround?

goanna300

This topic is 6492 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Why don't the clients install SP2 for Windows XP?

Oh, if only I didn't have a big Government Client!

I could ask them - and if I persevere, they may launch an enquiry. Or a Royal Commission. ("Yes, Minister")

They are still using Filemaker 4, and may do so inefinitely.

We contractors must always remember 2 things:

1) The customer is always right;

2) There is more than one way to skin a cat.

You are also missing out on how big organisations work: no change unless it's necessary.

You need to put the fact that FMP8 cannot be installed begause the SP2 update is not done *in writing* and send it to the manager. Let them decide whether FMP 8 is important enough.

Yes, It goes without saying that a contract is drawn up and all subsequent communication is also in writing.

Both Filemaker developers have had the rug pulled out from under us by an uncooperative Government client. Members of the public would have legal recourse - but not we contractors.

My most successful technique in other such cases has been to carefully re-read procedures and find a lateral procedure which they cannot stop us from using...

Which is why I am looking to an SP2 work-around. (The Mac idea is one of the outside-the-box ideas which is on the right track!)

Steve

(big sigh)

• 2 months later...

>In response to goanna300

>

>Get them Macs?

>

>Sorry, not helpful...

I just discovered this forum site...I LOVE it!

However, I did notice one thing that I wasn't going to say until I just read this thread...

There seems to be more Mac-related FM problems than PC. Especially ironic since FM originated in the Mac world.

:)

Maybe more Mac people are Developers. This is a go-nowhere discussion. It's like predicting sales by the phases of the moon. Some people will never be convinced one way or the other particularly when the data is insufficient.

And FM problems seem to haunt us all equally at one time or another. :wink2:

support forums are more ocmmon in the Mac world than in the Windows world, which is why the # of Mac topics is greater. FM actually sells more Winodws copies than Mac copies.

As to XP SP2: MS is officially stopping support in October, so there may be a rush for customers to upgrade.

This topic is 6492 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.