Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Validation and multiple fields

This topic is 6596 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This one has me stumped.

This is from an employee production database, that

has a repeating fields that contains employee clock numbers. To make an entry in the "Actual" field (where is validation takes place). The field "Actual" validation is this:

-----------------

IsEmpty(EmpNo1) = 0 and EmpNo1 = GetRepetition(GetEmpNo,1) or

IsEmpty(EmpNo1) = 0 and EmpNo1 = GetRepetition(GetEmpNo,2) or

IsEmpty(EmpNo1) = 0 and EmpNo1 = GetRepetition(GetEmpNo,3) or

IsEmpty(EmpNo1) = 0 and EmpNo1 = GetRepetition(GetEmpNo,4) or

IsEmpty(EmpNo1) = 0 and EmpNo1 = GetRepetition(GetEmpNo,5)

--------------

This works very good, but the problem now is that operations has requested a second employee field (EmpNo2) be added to cover the situation inwhich one employee starts a project and the second completes it.

I can not seem to get that senerio to function, when EmpNo1 must have an entry (an be in the employee clock number field) before EmpNo2 (who must also be in the employee clock number field)can make an entry into the "Actaul" field.

Any thoughts on this

Thanks

Who have forced you away from portalizing this, wouldn't it make more sense to allow creation of new portallines - only if the last row has been completed?? Chances are that you're exaggerating the posibilities repeating fields has to offer.

We're quite a lot, who tries to convince the rest of the community that repeaters only should be deployed for utility purposes ...far ...far away from userinterfaces where validations usually rules!

--sd

Agreed, I would have to ask why your repeating field is what holds your employee clock numbers. This could turn out bad if you need to add more info about your employees at a later date.

The main thing I use repeating fields is for a visual display validation. When they enter the wrong info into a field, I have a repeating field that will write red text next to it to say "HEY THIS IS WRONG".

As Soren said, utility purposes.

Well, first let me say that I found a solution, but before I show it Id like to answer to the two

responses I received.

1. As to portaling. This works under a lot of conditions, but sometimes layouts are static with preset information that makes portaling inpracticle.

2. The field holding the employee number has several purposes. The empoyee number is stripped from a field that records the results of an employee's answers to a job check list. Using this method, I'm able to validate that the employee has reviewed and resposed to the checklist and that a valid employee number is being used.

Now, here's what I was able to get to work.

--------------------

IsEmpty(EmpNo2) = 1 and IsEmpty(EmpNo1) = 0 and EmpNo1 = GetRepetition(GetEmpNo,1) or

IsEmpty(EmpNo2) = 0 and IsEmpty(EmpNo1) = 0 and EmpNo2 = GetRepetition(GetEmpNo,1) or

IsEmpty(EmpNo2) = 1 and IsEmpty(EmpNo1) = 0 and EmpNo1 = GetRepetition(GetEmpNo,2) or

IsEmpty(EmpNo2) = 0 and IsEmpty(EmpNo1) = 0 and EmpNo2 = GetRepetition(GetEmpNo,2) or

IsEmpty(EmpNo2) = 1 and IsEmpty(EmpNo1) = 0 and EmpNo1 = GetRepetition(GetEmpNo,3) or

IsEmpty(EmpNo2) = 0 and IsEmpty(EmpNo1) = 0 and EmpNo2 = GetRepetition(GetEmpNo,3) or

IsEmpty(EmpNo2) = 1 and IsEmpty(EmpNo1) = 0 and EmpNo1 = GetRepetition(GetEmpNo,4) or

IsEmpty(EmpNo2) = 0 and IsEmpty(EmpNo1) = 0 and EmpNo2 = GetRepetition(GetEmpNo,4) or

IsEmpty(EmpNo2) = 1 and IsEmpty(EmpNo1) = 0 and EmpNo1 = GetRepetition(GetEmpNo,5) or

IsEmpty(EmpNo2) = 0 and IsEmpty(EmpNo1) = 0 and EmpNo2 = GetRepetition(GetEmpNo,5)

----------------

One more thought: Yeah we ask this rather limited database to do alot of things and why shouldn't we. In the world of manufacturing (and other worlds too) alot of checks and balances have to be in place to prevent quality errors.

FileMaker is a strong and hearty data base system with alot of up sides, but is woefully lacking background coding capabilities. So we have to work around that shortcoming and sometimes have to ask for help.

This topic is 6596 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.