limiting number of value list entries

wald

This topic is 8287 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey all,

I need to create a value list to allow users in an invoicing database to select which show (from a shows file) the invoice is coming from.

I created a value list based on all the existing shows, but I want to make sure that this value list doesn't grow indefinitely. (I don't want users to have 300 options to choose from in a few years).

I would be glad to either limit the number of entries to, say, 10 shows, or to only show shows that occurred withing the past 6 months.

The only ways that I can imagine doing this are rather complex, I was wondering if anyone had any simpler suggestions.

Thanks.

-wald

Create a calc that results in only the last 10 shows being displayed. Then use this calc as the basis of a relationship to the shows file. Then base your valuelist on that relationship.

This requires FMP 5.x and higher.

How to do the calculation to get only the last 10 shows however...?

Another option would be to sort the value list by show number or show date so that the most recent shows are immediately displayed, but the other are still available, and this requires little effort on your part.

How you determine which shows you wish to display is up to you. Once you do, you can have a number field in the Shows file:

Active (number, indexed)

Create a field in the Invoices file:

Constant (calculation, number, indexed) = 1

Create a relationship in the Invoices file with Constant <---> Active

Create a value list in Invoices based upon this relationship. You can run a periodic script in the Shows file to make shows inactive based upon some criteria.

-bd

This topic is 8287 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.