First record contains column names

This topic is 6582 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I scripted an Import step and selected the option to skip the first record (since it contains column headers). Then I deselected Specify Data Source so that I would be prompted at run time to locate the input file. However, doing so appears to cause the Import step to forget to skip the first record.

Is this working as advertised?

Well, what I do is (in Scriptmaker) specify a data source, and then specify import order. After making whatever changes to import order, I click OK, and then deselect "specify data source" so that user will be prompted at runtime.

It seems like sometimes the changes take, and sometimes they don't. It also seems like sometimes I have to put the script through a "dry run" with dialog boxes enabled in order to get the changes to take. I haven't figured out a sure-fire recipe, although by banging away long enough it eventually takes. :P

Eventually I want the step to run with Import order settings pre-specified (no dialog) and an Open File dialog to allow the user to select the file for import.

Is there a method I'm unaware of that allows me during development to continue to tweak import parameters and not lose my changes?

Edit the script, then click OK. The dialog that follows will allow you to choose whether to update the stored import parameters, or leave them as is.

That is because you can edit these script steps within the script now. You no longer have to perform it manually, and then edit the scrip to modify by it by either [color:blue]Keep or [color:blue]Replace [color:red]Dialog Box

HTH

Lee

I understand that - the problem I'm having is that my Import settings are being forgotten. (Vaughan's most recent post seemed to allude to the KEEP/REPLACE thing, which - since I'm on FM8 - isn't relevant to my problem.)

The problem now is broader than just the "skip first record" option. I'm trying to write it up now and will post it in Scriptmaker forum since, strictly speaking, it is a scripting problem I'm having.

This topic is 6582 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.