Server Maintenance This Week. ×

selecting records to move to another layout

This topic is 6588 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database that generates several lists using buttons with scripts. Each list is a location, and the fields provide details about the items in that location. Some fields are the same in each list and some are different.

What I need to do is have the users go to each list, and be able to individually select some of the records on that list as "to be shipped" and have those records move to another list layout.

This "Items to be Shipped" list would then be a compilation of records that were selected by the user from the various location lists. (I assume this layout would contain only fields that were common to all the location lists).

I would appreciate any help on how to accomplish this task! (Then of course I have to figure out how to clear the "Items to be Shipped" list once those items have actually been shipped!? [color:green]:P )

Thank you so much!

By list layout do you mean table? If that is the case, you could create a flag field, radio button, with yes/no as the option,this would be your ship field, create a script that performs a find on that flag, export the found set, set all the flag fields in the current table to "no", goto the other table and import the file you just exported.

Bob

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately this version of FM doesn't use tables like the newer versions do -- that is probably why I am having trouble! Your solution makes sense but those elements do not exist in FM5/6. I hope to upgrade to FM8 soon.

Any ideas on how to make it work without tables? By list layout I just mean a basic layout that displays in list form the records that match the search criteria, i.e. a particular location.

Are all these layouts/lists in the same file? When you say you want to "move" the selected items, do you mean you want to duplicate them? To a separate file? Or do you just want to show them on a different layout?

It does sound like you'd use some variation of Bob's idea. I'd probably opt for a checkbox with a value list of "1" rather than a Yes/No radio button. It's then a simple script to find the records you've marked, and to clear them when you're done. But done doing what? That's the part I don't understand from your description.

Yes, they are all in the same file, and I just want to show the selected records on a different layout. The setup is something like this:

I have a page with several buttons, labelled Room A, Room B, etc. When each button is activated, a find script runs and generates a list of records of items located in that Room (on individual layouts).

The user needs to be able to go to each of these generated lists and check off whichever records they want to appear on another layout "Items to be Shipped".

Thus for example, the user could go to the list for Room A and select 3 of the 30 records, then go to the list for Room B and select 7 of the 23 records. These 10 selected records should then be duplicated onto the "To be Shipped" layout.

Once the items have been shipped, the records would be moved to a Shipped items layout, and removed from the "To be Shipped" layout.

I hope that makes more sense! Thank you for your assistance.

I'm thinking if you use the flag field (I like Fitch's checkbox idea) Perform a find on that field

Have a Creation date field (auto-enter creation date)

Have a loop that duplicates each record in the found set, exiting after the last (in this step you would also want the flag field set to null before the duplicate step)

After this is done, you can perform a find on the Creation date field and go to whatever layout you need to view all the records.

Hopefully this will get you what you want :o

Bob

EDIT: As an afterthought, you could have a seperate database that the original found set is exported then imported into. This could make is easier to track history of shipments etc... You could then have a relationship to that DB and view a history in a portal on your Room A layout, if needed. Either way should work.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6588 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.