Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Content download Amazon or IMDb

This topic is 6581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Does anyone have any idea how to downloag data from online sites like amazon or imdb? I want to download movie info from their servder direct into filemaker?? Any hints are welcome!!

Thanks

There could be many things. There are basically 2 parts to getting the data into FileMaker. The first is to get the data from Amazon, the second is to transform it, via an xsl stylesheet, into the xml format that FileMaker requires for import.

I always use AppleScript with "curl" in a shell script to first test getting the data via a URL. Then at least you know that part works, and you get a sample of the xml returned. Try this in an AppleScript:

set myID to "Put your ID here"

set the_URL to quoted form of ("http://xml.amazon.com/onca/xml3?locale=us&t=webservices-20&dev-t=" & myID & "&KeywordSearch=FileMaker%207&mode=books&sort=+titlerank&offer=All&type=lite&page=1&f=xml")

set theText to do shell script "curl " & the_URL

Edited by Guest
wish the code box was wider

Hi so thats the result I'm getting. I'm sorry but I have no idea what that means, I'll try to make this happening. Thanks for your help!

Thomas

"<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

We encountered an error while processing your request. Please make sure that you are using a valid developer token and that you have registered for this service. For more information, please visit http://www.amazon.com/webservices"

This topic is 6581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.