Creating a Value list of one fields content across all records in the file?

This topic is 6566 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A field "TitleField" contains the title of an article. The text of the article is contained in another field (ArticleField). I would like to create a value list that lists every title in the "TitleField" so that when the user clicks on a 3rd field the "ValueListField" and selects one of the titles, a script whould then take him to the record containing the text of the article associated with that title. Each title is unique.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Maybe a portal would be the best solution. Titles could make up the portal rows and a button in the row could use the GTRR step to go to the corresponding layout with the Article field.

In particular, a nice way of doing this might be to have your portal off to one side on a layout with a large Article field next to it and whenever you select a title the portal row, the value in the Article field will correspond to the title.

I would like to create a value list that lists every title in the "TitleField". Also, when a new article (new record) is added, I would like it to automatically appear in the value list.

Uh. That's what value lists DO, if based upon values from field (Title) and all values - give you one of every Title in the file. When you add an Article, you add the Title also ... either that, or your structure is incorrect. If you have many articles to ONE Title, you should have a 1:n (one-to-many) or add the Title again each time you add an Article.

A find should work fine - what am I missing here? :wink2:

Here's an example of the portal option I'd mentioned earlier. It requires one less step than using a value list and your selection of titles is always visible on the layout.

Click on a portal row to see its related article.

This topic is 6566 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.