How to create relationships between the items in value list and other fields

lzeng

This topic is 8163 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a value list, each item in this value list has its "weight" value, which is defined in another field. For example, The items in value list is A,B,C,D. "A" has its weight value, say "1", which is stored in another number field named "Weight". Maybe in future there should have some calculations on field "Weight".

My question is: how can I set up relationships one by the other on the items in the value list with the other fields in the same database.

Thanks in advance!

Catty

This question is a pretty vague. The answer depends upon whether you want to set up the relationships with the items of the value list BEFORE or AFTER an item is selected and entered into a field. If you want to set up a relationship before, you need to store the value list in another file. If you want to set up a relationship after, you do it in the conventional manner.

This answer may be way off the mark, you need to restate the question.

-bd

Hi bd:

Thanks for your reply!

Sorry for the confusion, What I mean is that the value lists and the corresponding fields/value lists all exist in one file, When the user clicks on the FIRST item "A" in a value list, I should response with a "weight" value, say "1", which is the FIRST item in another value list in the same file. (Now I'm thinking of storing all weight values in one value lists) same function will remain to the other items in the value lists.

Another question is how can I show the results using CDML code? Could you offer an example?

Thanks again!

Catty

• 3 weeks later...

Still having trouble figuring out what you're asking (are you from Quebec?), but it seems to me that the "Weight" field should be a calculation field, with the calculated amount dependent on the value selected from the value list for the first, unnamed (at least in this post) field.

This topic is 8163 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.