Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Set field without using script ? (FM6)

This topic is 6567 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Here is my problem :

I need to set a field without having to require the user to press a button to run a script. The script is to concatenate two fields (item number and order number) for a relationship. I enter an item number and then a qty in a portal. I want to perform validation on the qty. But only once the above relationship is established can i perform validation on the qty. After entering the item number, is there a way I can concatenate the ietm number and order number fields without having to require the user to press a button to run a script to set the field?

Hello Dj

You can create a calculation field with the result text and a caculated entry of

itemnumber&ordernumber.

If you check the 'do not store - evaluate when necessary' box then without any action on behalf of the user and whatever changes are made to either of those two fields this field will always be a concatenated version of the same.

HTH

Phil

But only once the above relationship is established can i perform validation on the qty.

But what kind of validation is it?? This smells like a transaction model, but I can't things straightened in my head...

--sd

Hi guys, seems I need to explain a little more.

I have an orders file (header and detail) and a deliveries file (header and detail). I can have multiple deliveries against an order. On the orders detail file I have a calculation which holds the remaining balance (undelivered) for each item. When I enter a delivery qty, I want to ensure that the qty to be delivered does not exceed the remaining balance on the order FOR THAT ITEM. That is my validation. (qty requested for delivery <= remaining balance). To do this I need to have a relationship between the orders detail and the deliveries detail files. I am using item_number&order_number on each of these files for the relationship. When I enter a new line item in the deliveries file portal, i immediately get the order number appearing in the item_number&order_number field, but i have to run the script to set the rest of the field.

I should also explain that if there are say 5 items on an order, a delivery can be for any one (or more) of them, so I don't know the item number until the user selects an item for delivery. Once i have the item number, I can then set the field item_number&order_number.

What I think i need is a way to set that field as soon as the user selects an item for delivery. Phil's solution above does not seem to achieve what I need.

Sorry i made an error above...When I enter a new line item in the deliveries file portal, i immediately get the ITEM number appearing in the item_number&order_number field, but i have to run the script to set the rest of the field ie the order number from the header).

OK it sems that describing the problem has helped me figure it out. I grabbed the order_number from the header using a different relationship, and can now concatenate "on the fly". Thanks!

Inky Phils calc'field should be (and is by the look of your last post) able to handle this, but there is another flaw in your reasoning. How would you deal with marking the shipped items as shipped as well with outstanding orders from earlier on.

Endless stuffed warehouses aren't going to look nice in the books, some kanban'ish just in time measures might give better financial results.

--sd

Hi Soren,

"How would you deal with marking the shipped items as shipped as well with outstanding orders from earlier on"

The input screen i was referring to was at the point when the user enters delivery requests from the customer. These are "call-offs" from a "blanket" order.

I have a different script which sets the record status to "delivered" and sets actual_qty_delivered to requested_qty_for_delivery.

thanks

david

This topic is 6567 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.