Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Portal to display other jobs 1 person has

agtjazz

This topic is 6559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am wondering if I am completely off base here… :idunno:

I have a layout for People (that is the table) and the related table is Position (Job Assignment) One person can have more than 1 active job at the same time (ie half time receptionist, half time file clerk). However this is not the norm…. So how would I set up the data entry layout for that? Would I use portals?

What I had envisioned is a normal data entry layout- that the user tabs from field to field with a portal window on the bottom that holds the data the user fills in (either on a commit or dynamically). That way, if the user has to fill in 2 half time jobs for Jane Doe, then the user can see the other job… but still has the ease of the tabbed fields and data entry is similar in all layouts.

Is this possible? Or is something else more efficient. Attached are screen shots of a fake person in the database.

Thanks in advance for all the help

portal-dataentry.zip

Edited by Guest

Please disregard first request... basically I need to show the current job in the fields (and maybe the top portal row) and in the portal show all the previous jobs.

Thanks - sorry for being so whimiscal... I am getting feedback from 3 different users.

If a person can hold only one job at a time, then his current job (provided he/she is still employed) is the last one - so you can use the Last() function to get the details. Or use a one-line portal sorted by SerialID or Date, descending.

If a person can hold more than one job at a time, you will need a field to indicate if an assignment is still active, e.g. TerminationDate. Then use that information to filter your relationship, e.g. a relationship based on calculation field of:

Case ( not TerminationDate ; PersonID )

will show only active jobs of this person.

The second option is what can occur here... a person can hold more than one job at a time...

So I added the field- jb_terminationdate

Where would I put the calculation field (in the people table or the job table)? And for the portal- where do I put the calculation- only show the active jobs - the case statement?

Thanks bunches

This topic is 6559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.