Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Scroll Wheel Runtime Warning

This topic is 6537 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Recently, I received a nasty surprise when one of my users managed to deleted some records he should not even have been able to see. This is just to warn other equally careless developers.

I have always tried to prevent my users from seeing anything they shouldn't. Status area is always hidden and the menu bar is empty.

When a user looks at details of a child record from a portal in the parent, I use a GTRR to display the record for that portal row. When adding new child records, there is just the one new record visible. In either case, there is no way the user can navigate to other records - until V8!

The much-vaunted new support for the Scroll Wheel has destroyed my lovely protection. The SW lets users see all of the found set of records; it lets the user scroll through the complete found set. As far as I can tell, there is no way of turning off the 'support'.

I noticed the SW support but thought no more about it, as I regarded the SW as one of the more useless technology changes. It is not only useless but dangerous!

(I now have to modify my solution to make sure that any child record being viewed is the only one in the found set.)

Hopefully, this warning is not needed by anyone else but ....

When the status area is hidden AND locked, the scroll wheel should not work in browse mode, at least not to browse the records.

Are you sure that you locked the status area?

BTW: on Windows the scroll wheel did browse records prior to v8.

Edited by Guest

Yes, I always lock the status area. The SW still works.

I didn't know about the scroll wheel working before in Windows. Now I think about it, it was new for Mac wasn't it? As I said, I just pretty well ignored it.

It has never caused me a problem prior to V8. How easy (and much more satisfying temporarily) it is to blame someone else when it's actually one's own incorrect analyisis! This particular solution is for a franchise operation. The two franchisees who encountered the SW problem are new franchisees - had not used the pre-V8 solution. I've just been lucky.

Edited by Guest

Hide/Lock Status Area stops scroll for me and I'm XP and 8.0v2. I have no idea how 8.0v3 handles it but they shouldn't have fixed something that isn't broken.

BTW, I believe you can disable scroll functionality in your OS directly. Check your Mouse support. :wink2:

Thanks for that info Laretta. I have to go back and find if 8.0V3 is the culprit but I doubt it.

I don't care about SW support on my machine and I can hardly tell users to remove the support!

Fogey

I got round the problem by omitting the chosen record and displaying ommitted only. That way the user is effectively viewing a found set of one and so the scroll wheel becomes redundant

HTH

Phil

ps Like the new glasses LaRetta

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd better put a total end to this in case someone else reads it. My original post was totally wrong as well as my subsequent comments.

Never say 'never' and also never say 'always'.

I do always lock/hide the status area ... except when I forget. I also never have any bugs in my scripts but elves keep putting them in.

Apologies to all.

This topic is 6537 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.