Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMS 5.5 W2K - Start & Stop via Automated Task

This topic is 6502 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Have searched the archives for this topic, but came up relatively empty, so...

I've recently been forced to move our FMS 5.5 from OS X to Win 2003 Std Server. The IS Ops guys "strongly insist" that all servers in the organization get a reboot via automated task on Sunday mornings around 1:00 AM.

I have created two automated tasks which stops FMS (FMSERVER STOP) a half hour before the reboot, & starts it again (FMSERVER START) a half hour after the reboot.

I'm not really a Windows guy, so the question is: Is this the appropriate way to handle having to deal with the reboot requirement? Or should I add a task that closes the files before the stop? Or, should it be approached differently altogether?

Definitely add a routine to close the files first. Actually for best results the whole routine should be tied together:

- routine starts by getting a list of all hosted files

- closes each one in turn and waits for confirmation by the event log

- when all files are closed properly, reboot the machine

- enough error handling in the routine to stop the reboot from happening when something is not going as expected.

The IS guy should be able to put together a routine to do this.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I wonder if you could help me with a related problem. I am running FMS5.5 and Retrospect Backup on a Win2003 server. Every night the backup log of Retrospect shows that the FM databases haven't been backed up, presumably becuase they are still running. I need to know how I can close each file before the backup and then restart them before anyone gets in in the morning. I presume this will involve creating a routine, but I have no idea how to do this.

I'm sorry if this is a really basic question, but my understanding of FM and scripting is as basic as the question.

Thanks

The easiest solution is to exclude the FM files from the Retrospect schedule. (You should do it in any way, you risk corrupting your files if you don't).

Schedule a backup in FMS say half an hour before the Retrospect kicks in, and make sure retrospect includes the backup location (but not the live location).

This topic is 6502 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.