Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Server 8 Setup - Noobie Questions

This topic is 6541 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I do know a decent amount about computers but most of my experience is on Macs. We've used FM6 on PC's at work to create patient databases and various procedure forms. Since we now have to be able to share files, we bought FM8 individual seats and the server app (we did not have a server edition before). The install documentation is pathetic. We had to pay $20 for a manual after spending about $3000 for software and it still doesn't make total sense. The programs are installed on our server (Windows 2003 Server) and on our individual computers (XP).

My main question now is -- if I create a new file do I have to send it to the server and then actually go to the server and open it to host it, or can I somehow set it so all files placed in a folder "../shared_data" and have it automatically opened?

Any other setup hints or links would be appreciated. I just found the password and user answer on this forum but couldn't get an answer to this. Thanks.

New files must be opened manually in the Server Admin app. And anytime you wish to replace a file, or take it off for maintenance, it must be closed with the Server Admin app. Multiple files are often interrelated, so it's best to close all files when work must be done on one of them.

Keep in mind that the server computer should be dedicated for FileMaker Server, with other processes, like OS File Sharing disabled.

Databases don't behave well if the server loses power, so be sure to put the server on a UPS (battery backup.)

Another bit of advice is to use separate drive for the Scheduled Backups. Have the built-in backup scheduler run as often as needed (some people backup once a day, others every hour.) While failures are pretty rare, they can happen, and going to a recent backup is easier than rebuilding a damaged file or reentering a week's worth of data. I say separate drive because of the rare hard drive corruption. It's best not to put all your eggs in one basket.

A good way of doing this without OS file sharing on the server is to enable "remote desktop" on FMS machine Then whenever you need to move a file to FMS you log into the remote server desktop (taking over the machine) and allow your local hard disks to be used in the remote session. You can then just locate the file on your local machine and move it to the server.

For routine tasks, remember that the Server Admin Tool (SAT) can be installed on any machine. And it works cross-platform.

The install documentation is pathetic. We had to pay $20 for a manual after spending about $3000 for software and it still doesn't make total sense.

Did you read the Server Administrator's Guide before installing? it contains a lot of useful information.

Steven

Thanks everyone. I guess we'll get used to it. My general feeling after reading all of this is that we didn't need the server version right now since we never have more than 2-3 people using a database at one time. But it does allow us more capability as we grow and didn't cost much more than the individual licenses alone.

Did you read the Server Administrator's Guide before installing? it contains a lot of useful information.

Steven

All we received about the server software is a 4 page guide called "Network Install Setup for FileMaker Server 8 and FileMaker Server 8 Advanced." This gets it installed on the server, which we have done. My guess is that for extra money, we can get the User Guide like we did for FileMaker Pro 8, but my gripe was that I thought that a user guide should be included.

Edited by Guest

All we received about the server software is a 4 page guide called "Network Install Setup for FileMaker Server 8 and FileMaker Server 8 Advanced." This gets it installed on the server, which we have done. My guess is that for extra money, we can get the User Guide like we did for FileMaker Pro 8, but my gripe was that I think one should be included.

It is included; it's a PDF on the install CD.

Steven

This topic is 6541 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.