Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Portal row button,goes to the related record of a different portal row.

This topic is 6535 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

i have a portal and i have added a button, so each portal row has a button.

How could i make it so if i click on it goes to the related record of a different portal row,instead of the portal row the button is on.

eg I click on the button in portal row 1 and it takes me to the related record of portal row 2

This seems like a strange request to me since you can't get any different information out of the second portal that you can get out of the first. But, who am I to ask : I'm sure you have a good reason so I put together an example. It wasn't totally clear what you wanted to display in the portal so I used one portal displaying related child records and another displaying all related records (cartesian product). Anyhow, hope this helps.

portaltoportal.fp7.zip

Hi latinoheat,

I click on the button in portal row 1 and it takes me to the related record of portal row 2

Why not just click on row 2? To phrase it differently, script could 'go to portal [next] and then Go To Related Record? What is the criteria that determines this unique relationship between portal 1 and portal 2 (and their related records)? Somehow, a unique relationship exists between two child records and THAT is what needs to be answered here.

It wasn't totally clear what you wanted to display in the portal

I see no mention of displaying the results in a portal. "...if i click on it goes to the related record of a different portal row."

If you give us specifics, ie, real-life example, we can help you even further. We need to know the WHY before we can address the HOW. :wink2:

LaRetta

Its kinda hard to explain but those white lines are the buttons inside the corresponding portal, each name box is the same portal set to display one related record. So the first displays the related record No1.Two displays the second related record.

The related record has a field called tournaments entered.If say the name in the first box wins. I would click on this first line, i need it to then go to the related record of the name in box 1 and add 1 to tournaments played, and also do the same for the opposing box. I dont want to have to click both lines to update the thing.

tournament_brackets_draft.gif

Can you attach your file or at least a picture of your graph? This helps us envision what you need but tells us nothing about your relationship. We need to know:

1) What relates one player (portal row?) to another? Surely 1 wouldn't always play 2? What if 1 plays (row) 4? Each player must be assigned the same tournament, no? Then when one (of the two wins), you click the winner (and Tournaments would have a winner field) which would insert that player's ID into it.

2) We don't know the perspective here. Are you on a Tournaments layout looking at a portal of players?

3) Are there ever ties or cancellations?

Simply, if your portal displays ALL players (on a tournament layout) who will play in THAT Tournament, you need to isolate the TWO players who are playing. It seems like you are missing a MATCHES table or connection.

One will always play 2,there is no cancellations or ties

Screen shot one shows my relationships,two is the related record i need to go to.It is a layout of the table member points.

1.gif

2.gif

3 is where i enter players into a tournament its an 8 man tournament so 15 records have been created,the amount of name boxs required for an 8 man tournament.

Screenshot 4 is where is set up the tournament.

3.gif

4.gif

Each name box is a portal set to show one related record of the member entering tournament screen, the lines are buttons.

What i want to do is say a beats b i click on the a line, it will go to the member points of a and add 1 to tournaments played, but also go to the member points related record of the opponent in this case b and add one to tounaments played.

5.gif

6.gif

The only thing holding player 1 to player 2 is their natural sort state of creation order (in the Member points table) portal? And you are displaying the same portal (duplicated) and respecifying the row to display? So you NEVER sort the portal or the Member points records or relationship? What if a player dies/quits? You can’t insert a player in their place … ALL players would move up. Is that okay? After the first round, how does a player move up? It looks like you are displaying the next round up using the SAME field/portal as the first round. Will you create another table occurrence of Member Points (filtered with only the winner) and use a different portal (but same theory) for the next round?

Adding a 'tick' count to a tournament member each time they play is error prone (for several reasons). Besides, why count when proper structure could just Sum their matches? Also, the join is on member NAME? What happens the first time you get two Bill Smith’s? If the lines are outside the portal, you will need a different script parameter for each line, specifying 1, 3, 5, and 7. Pseudo-code script for first set (script parameter of 1 ). Repeat with each set in round 1 (use same script) but attaching 3, 5 and 7.

Freeze Window

Go To Portal Row [ no dialog, by calculation: Get ( ScriptParameter )

Go to Related Record [ Member Points (do not check either ‘show only’ box) ]

… do whatever to first member

[color:blue]Go To Layout [ original layout ]

Go To Portal Row [ no dialog, by calculation: Get ( ScriptParameter ) + 1 ]

Go to Related Record [ Member Points (do not check either ‘show only’ box) ]

… do whatever to second member

Go To Layout [ original layout ]

OR … replace the blue with:

Go To Record/Request/Page [ Next ]

This script is only speculation - much depends upon many things. ohhh, THAT is deep. :bigshades:

The reason the one script-step MIGHT replace the blue is, if portal 1 and portal 2 are only related because one is after the other as records in Member Points table then you don't need Go To Related[] to get the second player. It will be the very next record (after you work on the winning player). But if there is a sort ANYWHERE, you will need to use the blue. Depending upon RECORD ORDER for a relationship would terrify me. Your structure confuses me, feels off and seems incomplete - but I want to help you. Problem is ... I can't help with something that I don't understand. Maybe others see it more clearly (please).

LaRetta :wink2:

Thanks very much for all your help, maybe it would be better if i post the file, because to be honest im not to good with filemaker,i kinda know what i need but not the best way to achieve it

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6535 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.