Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How can I force exit a window after 15 seconds of being idle?

This topic is 6535 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am working on a POS system and when the user is in a particular window I need them to be transferred to a login screen if the computer is idle for a specified period of time. Is there a way to do this in FM8?

Idle meaning since the last time a script was executed?

You could always put a:

Pause/Resume Script[15 seconds]

Perform Script[To Log user out]

At the end of each script...

Then on to each button choose 'Halt' as the action to perform on the current script prior to execution.

Not that this is very efficient at 15 seconds because the user might be doing something else i.e. thinking while moving the mouse...

Anyway, hope this helped.

~Genx

15 seconds... you mean 15 *minutes* right?

I'd hate to use a system that required me to log-in every time I scratched my nose.

FileMaker Server can log-out users after idle time. I think 15 minutes might be the minimum.

Then again, if you had 2 databases. One specifically for loging in, you could just have the window behind the main window and shut the main db after a set period of time.

15 seconds... you mean 15 *minutes* right?

I'd hate to use a system that required me to log-in every time I scratched my nose.

FileMaker Server can log-out users after idle time. I think 15 minutes might be the minimum.

No, I actually need to exit to a login screen after 15 seconds...possibly 30.

The FM8 server minimum is 10 minutes. But even if it were less it would take too long for the users to login each time. I really need to keep FM running and have the users go to "my" login screen after the specified amount of "idle" time.

Then again, if you had 2 databases. One specifically for loging in, you could just have the window behind the main window and shut the main db after a set period of time.

Yes, but how would you do this after a set period of "idle" time?

Okay wait that wont work then, i only just read your first reply... go with my original suggestion. Or have a look at the onEvent plugin by software4humans... i think thats what they're called. Its all over these forums just search onevent. There might be an idle event for you to utilize.

Spenn

to the best of my knowledge Eventscript does not have an idle event trigger.

It will only trigger events based on calculations within fields although I did see something about it triggering events using tooltips perhaps but I don't think that will help you either.

I mention this just in case it will save you some time

Phil

This topic is 6535 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.