Timecode Again...

This topic is 6503 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I attached a file that calculates timecode summaries, the only issue I have the addition between frames1+frames2 are wrong and also I have a auto enter calculation for TC in and TC out but when I want to change one digit in the already entered field it displayes it wrong! Like "00::0:0::01"

Could someone please help me figure this one out? Thanks a bunch!

TMAS :

TC.fp7.zip

TC In (number) has auto-enter data of: 00:00:00;00

That is not a number (ie, FM numbers don't recognize colon or semi-colon). And with the semi-colon, it's not even a time field. You then also have an auto-enter (replace) calculation converting it to a number. But they are timecodes right? So they should possibly be time fields? Can you explain what you are trying to do with the format fields? Why are you prefilling with 00:00:00;00? FileMaker does a wonderful job of adding time fields all by itself and I think we can get you there if we know where *there* is. :wink2:

Working with timecode is a bit more complex than your file would suggest.

For simple formatting of numerical entry as timecode, see here.

For a more complex formula that includes entry validation, see the file attached here.

Note that I have not checked the calculations this file uses to compute the duration.

Adding and subtracting timecode values is pretty straightforward for all frame rates - except 29.97, which is anything but straightforward. See e.g. here, for a basic introduction to the problem (I have not checked the solution offered there).

There's also a TimeCode for Filemaker plugin which might still work with current versions.

What I am trying is a tool for videographers that want to log their scenes with TC in and Out. It should then display the Duration of the clip in frames and time. He also should be able to change the frame rate!

Thanks comment for your links! I went through most of them already! I have the one code working im my solution:

Replace (

Replace (

Replace ( Right("00000000" & GetAsText ( TC_in ) ; 8 ) ;

7 ; 0 ; ":" ) ;

5 ; 0 ; ":" ) ;

3 ; 0 ; ":" )

It is not working, I enter the data end it formats to the code but if I change the entry it will screw it up! It is a number field, time field wont work at all!

For the second example "spotting new layout" file there are no hours in his TC! Wont really work for me! This whole thing is a big mystery for me and even there is some info on the web with FM and TC t is hard to understand and find useful hints! Beginner problems! Thanks for your help!

The timecode entry fields need to be Text fields.

BTW, most people don't want to bother with frames when logging. This way it's much easier to implement in Filemaker, since it's pure time, so the frame rate becomes irrelevant.

As I mentioned, timecode, especially the drop-frame issue, can be a bit complex - I'm afraid there's not much I can do about that.

This topic is 6503 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.