Runtime Security

This topic is 8271 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello: I have a runtime database that is view only. It will be written to CD-ROM. My concern is that users who have FM Pro on their machine can open up a .USR file, show all records and export these records to create their own direct mailing or whatever. Is there any way to prevent a user from opening runtime files directly in FM Pro?

Any comments would be most helpful.

Thanks!

To do this, create 2 passwords in the file:

a master password - this you would use to modify the file.

a blank password (no password) - uncheck everything in the list except Browse Records and maybe Print Records. Also change Available Connands to "None".

In Document Preferences, check "Try default password" and leave blank (no password).

When the file is opened normally, it will use the no password that the user will not see, only allowing browsing and printing records.

The only thing you will have to do is provide buttons and/or scripts for every function you want the user to be able to do - none of the menu items will be accessible.

To modify the file, hold down the Shift key (Option key on Macs) while opening the file. This will allow you to enter the master passowrd.

This will work for both FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Runtime.

• 1 month later...

Instead of a blank password, use a default password and then in the document preferences click on the try default password end enter the default password there. This will bypass the password dialog unless you open the program holding the option key (mac). [i think it is the shift key for windows.]

This will make your security transparent to the user.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 8271 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.