Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Create a call log graveyard - help?

This topic is 6527 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello all,

I am a newbie so consider yourselves warned!

Here's the deal. I created a phone log that pulls automatically the phone numbers of the callers from Contacts upon entering first and last name.

I also created a delete button at the end of each new record so once the call is completed it can be removed from said list.

Problem: I no longer want the deleted call to disappear into nothingness. I want to delete the call from the active call list and have it get dumped into a "graveyard" (some call it "heaven")so we will always have a record of calls completed from our office, of which I can print, access, even edit (i.e., accidently send a call there and need to retrieve it, etc).

I have tried everything in my limited knowledge to create this, have come close, but can not make it work.

What can I do?

Welcome CDina,

How about a call Status field? Filter your list to only have calls with Status= "Active" (or status ≠ "Closed")

A filtered portal would be good for displaying the list.

Type +filtered +portal in the search and you will see many posts on how do to this.

Else, you would have to manually script a find or omit.

Here's a file you can check out. It uses a technique I learned from Matt Petrowsky over at filemakermagazine.com (great site, check it out).

It will create a related record in the log table and then prompt you if you would like to delete the current call record. It also checks if there is already a related record present, if so it will not create the log. The relationship is based on a creation timestamp field, I figured this was somewhat safe, as chances are, there will never be 2 records created at exactly the same time, it could happen in a multiuser environment, but....if your worried about that you can create a calc field for the relationship from parsing data entered in the call record.

Hope this helps you out!

Bob

Call_Log.zip

While an unstored timestamp calc is a useful tool for exactly this (i use it all the time - also picked up from Matt) a) in a multi user environment you should use get(currenthosttimestamp) and :) you should be relating by a second primary key field relating to the current record anyway... i don't exactly understand the situation at 1 in the morning, but nevertheless, take note if it's applicable.

~Genx

This topic is 6527 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.