Web Viewer and the Post Method

Ted S

This topic is 6300 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The new Web Viewer looks pretty nice and I can see some useful applications for it. However, what do you do when you encounter pages that use the POST method such as Filemaker's own store?

http://store.filemaker.com/

In the left column there is a field where you can enter your Order Number and track your order's status. The form appears to use the POST method which does not embed parameters in the URL. How could you incorporate a Web Viewer to track the status of an order from from Filemaker's website?

You can put the parameters in the URL yourself if you view the source and look at the form action and elements. For your example:

The POST action points to /servlet/WebStore

There is an OrderID parameter

There is a (hidden) -@FindOrder parameter

so, the following should work:

http://store.filemaker.com/servlet/WebStore?OrderID=123456&-@FindOrder

Replace 123456 with your own order number (or, a reference to a field containing the order number).

I don't have a valid FM order number to throw at it, and it just comes up with a blank screen, but it *should* work.

Edited by Guest

I went through that exercise before starting this thread and no joy. That URL works for pages using the GET method but I don't think it works for POST. I would sure like to be proven wrong.

Just wanted to point out that the above will only work if the store is using $_REQUEST to check the information coming from its form.

This is usually not done as it allows injection of information that may not be valid or wanted.

If they validate against $_POST then applying information in the URL would not work as that is classed as a $_GET.

Andy,

Thanks for the answer but it went a bit over-my-head. So does this means that the Web Viewer will only be useful on certain pages depending on how web designer built them?

Sorry Ted.

OK. Simply put, if the page that processes the web form is set to only accept POST variables you will not be able to pass information through a URL (which uses GET).

REQUEST covers both options, so on some pages web designers use REQUEST to accept either/or. However this opens up the opportunity to inject information into the form using the URL.

This does not mean you cannot access a web page through the web viewer if it has a form on it that only deals with POST. It just means you would have to enter the information into the form itself and then use the provided submit options.

Is that any clearer?

Andy,

Thanks, that clears it up... I think. Just to be certain; in the case of the Filemaker Store the best the Web Viewer can do is take the user to the correct starting page right? The user will have to manually fill in all pertinent fields and submit the form the form by pressing the GO button, correct? Is there any way that the Web Viewer could call up the correct (starting) page and insert values into the form itself leaving only the act of pushing the GO button to the user?

Sorry to be a pest but I'm trying to figure out just how useful this new feature will be. Especially as web technology and common practices move ahead.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Newbies

in the case of the Filemaker Store the best the Web Viewer can do is take the user to the correct starting page right? The user will have to manually fill in all pertinent fields and submit the form the form by pressing the GO button, correct? Is there any way that the Web Viewer could call up the correct (starting) page and insert values into the form itself leaving only the act of pushing the GO button to the user?

I'm processing orders with a munged together filemaker/safari/applescript/quickkeys thing now - Ted's option would save me a ton of copying and pasting as I'm doing now. And then saving the results of the processed form (transaction ID in my case) to another field, and marking the record as complete would be a bonus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This topic is 6300 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.