Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Cannot share files

This topic is 5167 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I set up a server (or am trying to) but when I opened the files on the server computer, I get the message "filemaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using filemaker Pro on this computer."

When I do an open remote from a different computer, I can see the server and the IP address under local hosts, but nothing in the available files. If I type in one of the files after the slash I get the message ""file" could not be opened. Either the host is not available or the file is not available on that host" What am I doing wrong. The server is connected, the files all say normal. The privelege sets are set properly.

EEEEK!

Mike

I am hosting them with Server. In C:Program FilesFileMakerFilemaker ServerDataDatabases.

I have filemaker pro on the server machine and by using remote I can see the host and the files but can only see the host on the client machines, no files

It sounds as if you're trying to run Server and Pro at the same time. Don't do that. Just launch the FileMaker Server service. Then from a remote machine through File-->Open Remote select the server name and then open the file from the list.

Steven

I am not trying to run them at the same time. I have pro on the server machine just for maintainence purposes. I have closed pro on the server machine and still no luck seeing the files. I just mentioned the pro on the server machine because when I use open remote it works. Then I close pro and try it on the client machine and I get the local host ip address popping up but no available files to choose from.

This may sound lame, but, I apologize in advance.

Check the following:

i)Make sure the file network sharing is set to ON and

ii)Verify also that network access to file is set to ALL USERS and

iii)Possibly uncheck the box that says "Don't display in open remote file dialog"

Wim,

I am not using external authentication, it is set for filemaker authentication. And I am not sure what you mean by visibility. Where do I do that. The databases all say normal. They are all set for "access via FileMaker Network (fmapp)". Is there somewhere else I have to put that? Even the sample database isn't visible.

Hey gang, It's fixed. I had my network configured with a static IP because of the way we were using the network before fileMaker server was installed. So I changed the IP to automatic and typed in the IP for the server and it worked perfectly. Thank you guys so much for you time and patients and suggestions, it's great to have such a generous community.

Mike

• 3 years later...

Interesting, but what about this. I am running Pro, no server, developing desktop apps, and everytime I load up my project, I get "FileMaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro on this computer." and yet, I am the only user, no network, just have 12 different db's connected together by relationships and little ole me as the only user. Any ideas what is going on here?

• 1 month later...

This topic is 5167 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.