Server Maintenance This Week. ×

new files not showing!

This topic is 6408 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

problem...

i just imported some new fm 8 files to my server and tried to remote-desktop them from my computer, but the darn things wount show up in fm8!?! it wirks fine with the old files ive got on the server (in the same folder), but the new one are missing. i tried restarting the server but that didn´t help. whats wrong?

You must enable network sharing on each of the files before you put them on the server.

FileMaker Pro Advanced > Sharing > FileMaker Network > ON and ALL USERS

k.. did that still not showing any files. ill backtrack for a sec, try to explain a little more:

i copied the files onto the filemaker server, next to the old example files. when i go back to my normal workstation, and remote-connect (or remote-desktop) the server i only get the example files to show... ive granted access to all accounts in the properties for each file, but still nothing. restarting the server also doesnt help. is there something else ive missed? whats the basic step-by-step thing to do?

ive placed the files in the program files...databases directory, and after some fibbling i got one of them to show up. ive backtracked my actions, but i cant really say what the big differens between the two is, other than that othe file i get to show is approx 10 MB while the other is 114 MB. does this matter?

I'd recpmmend you take a look at the server Adminsitrator's Guide that comes with FileMaker Server.

If you're using RDC to access these files, you are set up completely incorrectly. From FIleMaker pro on your desktop you should use Open remote, then select the server. its name should show up in Local Hosts if it is on the same subnet.

When the server is selected, a list of those files avaialble for access will appear.

Steven

as of right now only one of two files show up. ive read the manual but it gives me nothing! darn support is closed aswell (figures)...

i really cant figure out what the problem is, one file works fine the other is messed up. to me, all the settings are the same, ti all the network, sharing and remoting settings are the same. the only differens is the size...

• 2 weeks later...

A little FYI. When a file wont open while being hosted by FMS 8, but will open on a desktop without FMS hosting the file, it's more than likely failing the consistancy check when FMS is opening the file. Instead of doing a recover on the file you'd be much better off saving the troublesome file as a "Compacted Copy". Or if you have FM Advanced 8, do a file maintenance (optimize and compact). This will solve the problem. I'd asked one of the Filemaker engineers specifically about using the recover option (because it does work), however then told me that you really onlly want to use recover if the compaction doesn't work. And that if a file truly needs to be recovered it may have suffered serious damage even if it still opens and the data should be dumped into a backup that was clean. Hope that helps for the future. Regards, Ron.

• 2 weeks later...

That was the advice given by Tony Wise, who is one of the engineers of FM Server. The point is that you don't want to use the recover command unless you plan on scrapping the file afterwards and only want to extract the data from it. Again, this was what was told to me by Tony.

That is not correct advice. There is a Tech Info that deals specifically with that issue.

Also, as per the "Under the Hood" session on FileMaker Server delivered on Wednesday at the Developer Conference- do not use recovered files. That comes directly from the mouth of the Server Lead Architect.

Steven

• 1 month later...

OK - I am now officially confused.

I get that

1. You shouldn't use a recovered file. The data should be exported from the recovered file and then imported in to a last known good cloned copy of the original file. Correct?

Is this because the structure of the DB itself is likely damaged?

Confusing is this: is there a difference between SAVE AS A COMPACTED FILE (in non-developer FM) - and the OPTIMIZE and COMPACT option in developer versions?

Confusing is this: is there a difference between SAVE AS A COMPACTED FILE (in non-developer FM) - and the OPTIMIZE and COMPACT option in developer versions?

[color:red]There is a huge difference. Note my earlier post cautioning against the use of Compact on damaged files. Use Save A Copy...Save a compacted copy

Steven

[color:red]There is a huge difference. Note my earlier post cautioning against the use of Compact on damaged files. Use the Save A Copy...save a compacted copy option,

Steven

This topic is 6408 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.