Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Change the name an ODBC connection uses for UserName...???

This topic is 6480 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm connecting to FM via ODBC and inserting, updating, deleting reords, etc.

Many of the files I'm working with have fields for Created By:, Updated By:, etc., and it automatically fills these fields with the current User Name set in FileMaker preferences.

My scripts that insert and update records via ODBC, though, use the login username here. Is there way I can set what this should use as a UserName for ODBC connections?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Could you construct a translation table in whatever app you're connecting with, so that for each user, there's a lookup for 'Login User -> FMPro User'?

That is, if I'm understanding your question correctly, which there's every chance I'm not :)

By the way, would you be willing to help me even get connected via ODBC? I just read the DataDirect help files and I'm bleeding from the ears and nose.

Best,

Steve

Heh, well it's pretty much like any other ODBC setup. Have you done any at all? Basically you just need to get the DataDirect driver installed on your machine. Then go into ODBC via Administrator Tools in Windows, go to the System DSN tab, Click Add. For host, use localhost (if FM is running on the same machine you're running the scripts from.) If FM is running on a different machine put the IP address or domain to that server. For Port use 2399. Then for server data source click the ... button and it'll bring up all the current shares you have in FM. Make sure you've turned on ODBC sharing in FM prefs. or you won't see them show up.

Yup, did all that (connecting to a remote database, so I used the machine name), but when I click the "..." to bring up sources, I get an "Authorisation Failure" error.

Most of my database programming has been in Visual Basic and now RealBasic, connecting to MySQL databases, so I've got some familiarity but am learning that with the incredible power of Filemaker comes a fair amount of confusion as well (mind you, when I see what my co-developer here has done with it, I'm thinking it's worth it :).

And to get back to *your* post, did I understand the question correctly? What environment are you using to connect to FMPro via ODBC?

Best,

Steve

Edited by Guest

connecting to a remote database, so I used the machine name)

If that remote machine is not running FileMaker Server Advanced you won't be able to connect. FileMaker Pro only allows ODBC connections from its own machine.

Remote ODBC is only supported through FMSA.

This topic is 6480 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.