Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Applescript - turning off and on Filemaker Server

This topic is 8381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

I have little Applescript experience.

The problem/requirement:

Since upgrading to Filemaker server v5 I am experiencing a conflict between Retrospect (back-up software) and Filemaker server such that during the back-up procedure there is a loss of communication for any computers linking to the Filemaker server. I have tried changing the preferences in Filemaker but still get the problem. The back-up script is performed at 10pm every night. Retrospect automatically requests the next days backup tape after it has completed and it is this message that is sent to the front that I believe causes the Server communication problem.

So what I'd ideally like the applescript to do is at 9.45pm place Filemaker server to the background thus allowing retrospect to come to the front as it performs the backup. Then return Filemaker server to the front such that when the system is required at 6.00am there isn't the conflict.

I'm not sure I even need to use an Applescript as the solution is possibly just a preference change as Retrospect and Filemaker server v3 had no such conflicts

Many thanks in advance for your kind cooperation and advice

FMS is a running application and Retrospect will try to pause it when it does the backup. Since I'm assume what you are after in the backup routine is to backup the database files, here a possible solution and what we do for backups.

FMS has a schedules function which will allow you to create a database backup copy. We use that function to create a backup copy of our db files to a specified folder about 1/2 an hour before the Retrospect app runs. Retrospect is set only to backup that folder, so it doesn't interfer with FMS at all.

HTH

This may not be relevant, but we had some significant problems with Retrospect after upgrading to AppleShare IP 6.3 and System 9.0.4 on a G4. Retrospect caused a freeze that triggered off our Kick-Off watchdog device and restarted the server (Kick-off from Sophisticated Circuits, neat folks). These all went away when we updated Retrospect (4.1 ---> 4.3). We never went back to determine if the conflicts were with OS 9.0.4 in general, or just with ASIP 6.3.

-bd

• 2 weeks later...

Hello AndyMac:

I was reading your question with interest. I have a situation that is similar. But, what I would like to do is actually close all of the database files, quit FileMaker Server at a specified time, then restart FileMaker Server at a specified time. Do you know the best way to do this?

Thanks

DGM

This topic is 8381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.