VBScript or FileMaker for converting data

This topic is 6441 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am working on a solution that exports from a series of access tables via ODBC to FileMaker. FileMaker is creating a report basically showing a production routing listing work centers and an operation sequence number. The operation sequence number is represented as a bar code (barcode 128AB). Just representing the data as a given barcode will not work, when scanned. It appears as though the data is converted with a control character at the beginning and a calculated check sum value again converted to ASCll code, at the end.

I was given a utility program and a file used to import into either excel or an access table that via Visual Basic scripting converts the data. The utility program will help to check a sample value. Also included is a series of conversion charts listing the ASCII code variables.

I want to use the FileMaker printed Report list of operation sequence numbers in barcode128 so we can scan them and have our data collection software recognize them. The report out of our existing software program does not meet our needs.

First I need help evaluating the best solution. 1. Can I use the above VBscript information I have to do the data conversion externally, and then bring the data over. 2. Can I use the data conversion information to have FileMaker do the conversion. Or am I biting off more then I can chew .

Of course everything in my solution works great, and looks great, except for the bar coding issue, which brings me to a screeching halt.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Can't answer #1 or #2 without knowing exactly what the VBscript does.

If all it does is produce another data file but with the data cleaned up so it can be imported into FM then yes it would work.

Recreating the VBscript logic in FM might be possible too, depends on what exactly is going on in the VBscript code.

Can you post the VBscript here?

This topic is 6441 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.