Sub-summary (trailing) Returns Value of Last Record

millrene

This topic is 6468 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, I am new to FileMaker and I am trying to create summary report. I have a donations database. I have a Donation table that tracks Amount, Date, donationID, etc. I have Cause table that has LocationID, Project_CodeId and CauseId that the donation was given towards.

I have created a relationship between these two tables based on Primary Cause Id and Foreign Cause ID in the Donation table.

I have a summary field called Amt_Sum that summaries the Total of the Amt field.

In my report, which is based on the Cause Table, I have it sorted by Location Number and then Project Code. I have the Amt_Sum field (which comes from the relationship between Cause and Donations table) in the body and it displays the toatal amt of donations given for a particualr Project Code.

I have a sub-summary (trailing) part that I want to a total of all donations for that location number. I have the Amt_Sum field again, but it only shows the value of the last project code of that location.

I have spent way too many days trying to figure out what I have done wrong. I hope somebody with more experience can see my error. I hope I have given enough detail to understand what I am trying to do. Thanks in advance for any help.

RM

Amt_Sum should be a field in the Cause (parent) table. It should be a calculated field, not a summary field, and the calc is Sum(related::amount).

Then make a summary field in Cause that is Total of Amt_Sum. Place this field in your sub-summary part and you're done.

Fitch,

Thank you so much! That was the answer I was searching for! I had tried something along those lines, but I kept spinning in circles and wasn't getting anywhere, but frustrated. I love FileMaker. It is a cool program and I am looking forward to learning more.

RM

This topic is 6468 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.