Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Highlight some fields based on value

consultgal

This topic is 6466 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am doing an extensive data cleaning project with some end users. For one of the meetings that we are having, I would like to deisgn a layout where the potentially probelmatic fields are highlighted in some manner. My idea is to create a corresponding calc field for each field, which has a value of 0 or 1 based on whether the contents of the test field are considered valid.

How can I set-up a layout so that the problematic fields look visually different (i.e. different text or bg color)?

Thanks in advance!

Courtney

In v5?

The easiest way that I can think of, would be to change the Fill Color of the Fields.

On the Mac, you can use select multiple fields by using the Shift Key and mouse, and then apply the same formatting to all in the selected group at one time.

I guess I'm still not understanding what you are really after here. You say you only want make the data in a few records stand out, where it seems to be problematic.

Are you talking about suspected corrupted data, or something else?

What makes the Data seem problematic to you?

What is it doing that shouldn't.

What type of fields are these, calculation, container, global, Text, Numbers, etc.

Lee

I simply want to visually set apart data which is problematic from data that is not. Basically, I am creating a layout which will have a bunch of fields that need to be reviewed on it. I will be displaying this over a projector. I would like, on a per record basis, to highlight fields that are "invalid" for one reason or another.

So each field will have a corresponding calc field checking for validity. For those records where particular fields are flagged as invalid, I would like the offending data to be highlighted.

I think this means I need two different display fields for each field in question: one showing normal color text and one showing highlighted text. I think they each need to be in opposing portals so that only one will show at a time. I just don't know how to exactly set up the portals so that works properly.

I think you are missing my point and I'm trying to figure out why I'm being so confusing!

• Newbies

Consultgal,

you can do this with a logical statement but you will need to have a new field(s) to overlay exactly on top of the original field(s) for each making sure the new field is set to transparent and the text color to red(or whatever):(

Field 2 = if(field1 = problematic;Field1;" ")

so if the data in field1 is a problem it will show in field2 if not field2 will be blank and being transparent you will see the field1 through it.

hope this helps

Tony

My technique is a bit different than Gort, by placing a container calculated field behind the original field, make the original field transparent, that way you can choose different colors using a case statement for the container field if you need to. If you get a newer addition of FM, you can use the text format functions to do this within one calculated field. (you hold the different colors in a global repeating container field).

......(Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!).....

Rod

:exactly: :hair:

[color:orange]consultgal

I don't know of any way to automate this. IMO, you will need to identify, and mark these fields (data) manually (sometimes you just have to do it the old fashion way).

From what I'm reading in this and the other posts, it sounds like you are getting to ready to make a presentation on how to enter data properly. I would create a Audit Trail (a.k.a. Field Modification file), to monitor these fields, albeit after the fact.

Lee

This topic is 6466 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.