Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Populate Foreign Key Field

This topic is 6464 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have two tables: Cause and Disbursements. In Disbursments I have a primary ID. In Cause table I have a Foreign key field that I want to reference the primary ID in Disbursements. I was hoping to create a relationship between these two tables based on Primary ID(disbursements) and Foreign ID(Cause). The foreign key does not seem to be populating with primary key data. What is the best way to get that to happen or to create a relationship between these two tables.

You can pass the key data across from the primary file to the foreign file by first storing it in a global field and then transferring it from the global into the foreign file.

You would use the set field script step to pass this info and this should of course be done at the point at which the foreign record is created.

Another way is to enter the foreign records through a portal. If you check the 'allow creation of records' box in your relationship box

you will get a blank row at the bottom of your portal which will allow you to manually input data into the foreign file. This method sets the foreign key automatically.

HTH

Phil

ps lookup globals, portals & set field script step in your online help file if the above does not make sense

This topic is 6464 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.