Records @@ thru @@ ?

Django

This topic is 6475 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a layout I use for printing, that shows nine or ten records per page. In the footer, I want it to say "Records 1-10" on the first page, "Records 11-20" on the second page, etc. I can only figure out how to insert the number of the LAST record on the page (using symbol @@).

Sorry if this is really obvious, and thanks for any help.

• Newbies

Thanks a lot for the response. I still can't quite get it to work.

I made a new field called "Record#" with Get( RecordNumber ) in it. Then, in my footer, I put:

Records <> - @@

For the first page, this should say "Records 1-11." It comes out as "Records 11-12." The second page should say "12-20" but it comes out as "20-21" and so on.

Any idea where I'm going wrong?

• Newbies

Put another way, can FileMaker display the range of records (or the number of records) per page (on pages that have a variable number of records per page)?

A similar request: is it possible to display a "dictionary-style" guide, that says something like "Records A-C" on the first page, "Records D-G" on the second page - sorted alphabetically by some field?

Thanks again.

Edited by Guest

What if:

You simply take the @@ to get the last record on the page and then do a simple calculation to subtract the number of records that display on a page (usually a constant) from that total. So if you know that 10 records appear on each page, simply do a calculation of (@@ - 10 "-" @@). If I'm right, it should display as Records 11 - 21.

Something like that might work?

Good luck.

Mac Hammer

There is a method from the old book called "Scriptology" that handles this very nicely. this works for me...if it does not work for you contact me off line and I can give you a resource that will get you set up.

Try the file I have attached (FMP7 sorry, that was what my client had and I have not upgraded it yet)

You will only see the Page 1 of 3, 2 of 3, etc when viwed in preview mode or when it is printed, it does not display properly in browse mode.

In the sample I have provided go to the layout called "how many boxes do you want" enter the number of boxes you want then press enter on the keyboard. I have not modifed this for sample purposes, it runs exactly as provided to my client, so just go through the motions, and you should see how it works. This "file" is normally accessed through some other scripts, so when you "open" it the windows will not display as they normally would and will require resizing. I am at work and don't have time or I would make this right for you. Sorry.

This works really well. I used it for when my client checked in boxes at a receiving warehouse. They wanted to know how many boxes were received for a particular job. You would enter a total of boxes and then the labels would print out 1 of xx, until the end, even if it was just 1 of 1 or 999 of 1,000.

I cleaned this script up so it behaves a little more like it should and added a button so it works without the related stuff that normally calls this script. F.Y.I. The labels on this are designed to work very nicely with the thermal printer that UPS provides to their World Ship customers.

Steve

Carton_Received_Slip.zip

Edited by Guest

• Newbies

I really appreciate all the replies. I think exactly what I want isn't possible though - because on each page, there are wildly varied numbers of records (like, page 1 has 10 records, page 2 has 13, page 3 has 9, etc., and there's no way to predict that I can tell).

I did make use of the Page Number script in the attached file though, so thanks a lot for that.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Newbies

In case anyone else wants to do this, I found a (rather odd, but effective) answer to this on comp.databases.filemaker:

"There is an easy way to do this if you are happy to have the label appear in the footer.

Go to layout mode. Start a text block in the header part. Press return a bunch of times until you've created a text block about 11 inches high, then type "Records @@ -" and set the block right-justified.

[if you need to create room for this tall, skinny text block, then add a subsummary part that you do not intend to use.]

Place a second text block starting in the footer. type simply "@@" in this block.

You will need to tweak the alignment of the two text blocks a bit, but it won't be too difficult to give the appearance of a single, neat line of text at the bottom of the page.

This works because block 1 is showing the record number in effect at the top of the page, and the block 2 is showing the one in effect at the bottom. Layout objects starting in the header can "hang down" into other parts and simply print as part of the background of the page."

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.filemaker/msg/0b2a9b98d26a0ecd

This topic is 6475 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.