Can the "Go to related record" script step land you on a specific portal record?

This topic is 6515 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi my friends,

I'm trying to write a script that, when a button in a portal row is clicked, takes the user to a found set of all the related records and then lands the user on the particular record that was clicked on.

The problem is that the "go to related record" script step takes you to the related records correctly, but then lands you on the first record of the found set.

I know i could script it to take me to only that record, but I want to bring up the entire found set of all related records and land on the specific record that was clicked on.

I have a feeling I'm missing a simple solution to this problem. Can someone help?

Thanks in advance!

Hmm, Go to Related Records[] does bring you to the related record you were on in the portal. Perhaps your script is Committing the record prior to jumping to the related record? If that's not it, maybe you can post your script for us.

Hey LaRetta,

GTRR will jump to the selected portal's record regardless of the Show option. :P

In Myron's case, the portal selection is lost when the record is committed, so it just goes to the first related record.

Edited by Guest

Hi Mike :P^)

Yes, I realized focus was probably the problem here (as you pointed out). GTRR will work either way but (for some reason) it seems like it would be more efficient WITHOUT the extra parameter so I was just throwing that in more out of boredom.

Edited by Guest

Hi Ender,

I appreciate the feedback. The problem definately happens because of the "commit Record" script step. Without it the GTTR does exaclty what I need.

So I moved the "commmit record" step to occur after the GTTR like you had suggested but it doesn't affect the outcome. The record is still locked and any changes that were being made in the portal are not saved. Hmmm... Any other ideas?

Thanks

Thanks, Comment, your solution worked using a "set Variable" script step. However, following a "commit Record" step, the "go to Portal row" doesn't seem to work unless you first make the portal active by naming it as an object and then including a "go to object" script step first. But with that step added it works like a charm.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions

No, I only have one portal on the layout. It seems that once the record is commited the portal becomes inactive. If I then use a "go to portal row" step, it goes to the first portal (regardless of whether I indicate first, last or by calculation) but it won't highlight the row even though "select all" is checked and subsequent "go to portal row" steps are ineffective. It just kind of sits there in the first row no matter what I do. However, with the go to object step included first, all subsequent script steps perform as expected.

Edited by Guest

Yes, your file worked fine.

And I think you were right the first time when you suggested I have more than one portal.

I have several hidden single-row portals that are used to hide or show buttons and fields based on dynamic relationships. they work so well I had hidden them from myself.

So that is the problem. The good thing about 8.5 is that I can name each portal and perform a "go to Object" script step which activates the portal I need.

Sorry for the confusion. I hope you didn't lose sleep over this one, Comment, because I sure did.

Thanks again for your help ;-)

Edited by Guest

You're awesome, thanks. I knew it activated the first portal in the stacking order but i thought it went to the "first" on the top of the stack. I had tried both the top and the bottom to no avail. However, when you told me it's the bottom of the stack I realized the reason it didn't work for either is because the "real" portal lays on top of a tab control. To get it to work properly I had to pull it off the tab control before sending it to the back.

Okay, mystery solved. Thank you so much!

I'm glad, though, to have discovered another great use for the "go to object" in 8.5. You can place portals anywhere on a layout in any stacking order and activte any one of them on the fly.

This topic is 6515 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.