Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multi-mode buttons

This topic is 6415 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

It is wonderful that FM gave us script-steps which perform multiple duty - it SOUNDS like such an efficient technique. There are several: Delete Record/Request, Add Record/Request ... When in Browse, Delete Record/Request deletes the active record and while in Find it deletes the active Find Request. Nifty, huh? Nope. If I want to attach Delete Record/Request to a button so User can delete a Find Request but NOT delete a record, I currently MUST create a script, something like:

If [ Get ( WindowMode ) ]

Delete Record/Request

End If

... because FM will not allow me to use just ONE of the options! It would be so simple to put two checkbox toggles on the button dialog (it certainly has plenty of room) for selecting the window mode that the button can fire in. If they allowed a few settings here (as in Field/Control Behavior), our lives would be soooo much easier by cutting down on number of scripts. As it is, we can't use one without the other unless we script it.

The above is only for example ... I hope you get my bigger picture here ... start counting the number of times you create two-line scripts because of this and similar oversights on the button dialog. I would use it a LOT more if it had just a 'tad' bit more functionality! :wink2:

I think the person in charge of the button dialog is the same person in charge of the Import/Export dialog. They can't even put a silly 'clear all' button. That's because they have never had to import 400 fields (like when migrating), they all produce arrows, you want to import only 5 fields, and you waste time unchecking every SINGLE darned one! // end rant :blush2:

... start counting the number of times you create two-line scripts because of this and similar oversights on the button dialog.

Technically it's three lines -- the end if does count :) -- you are after all comparing 3 lines to 1 line.

This topic is 6415 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.