Server Maintenance This Week. ×

'Serial Number' Generation in Portals

cybertaz

This topic is 8407 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Alright, have a quick dilemma. Lets say you pull up a record in my database and you click on a portal field which has some options. That portal field is created, than it automatically creates another portal field...and so on. For this single record, I need the portal to give each 'line' and number starting with 1, and continuing +1 with each new record. The problem is, if I create a new record, and begin entering new lines in the portal, it is continuing the numbering from the previous record, but I need to it start over. Look at the example below:

Record One

(portal)

Revision # Comment

-----------------------------------

1 Yum

2 Tasty

3 Salty

and so on. Notice how the revisions are increasing with each portal record. I need them to start over on then numbering which each new record. Thanx!

quote:

Originally posted by Justin:

Alright, have a quick dilemma. Lets say you pull up a record in my database and you click on a portal field which has some options. That portal field is created, than it automatically creates another portal field...and so on. For this single record, I need the portal to give each 'line' and number starting with 1, and continuing +1 with each new record. The problem is, if I create a new record, and begin entering new lines in the portal, it is continuing the numbering from the previous record, but I need to it start over. Look at the example below:

Record One

(portal)

Revision # Comment

1 Yum

2 Tasty

3 Salty

and so on. Notice how the revisions are increasing with each portal record. I need them to start over on then numbering which each new record. Thanx!

Filemaker serial number generation is a simple sequential scheme. It increments them in order of record creation. You need to control the creation via some other method, such as an auto-entered calculation that determines the max value and add +1 to it.

if you have specific categories that a portal record can be created for (i.e. Bitterness, Sweetness, etc.) then you may be able to create global fields to hold the current serial numbers for each category and run an "update" script at the end of the data entry process. However, if you have alot of categories, as it stands... my thought process could lead to a very ugly, time consuming option. Hope this helps, if it doesn't...I'll blame it on the Friday night beers!

This topic is 8407 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.