Script Debugger not for everyone

dvalley

This topic is 6323 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I guess this is more of a complaint or a "why is it so?" than a discussion, but why doesn't script debugger work on non-full access passwords? It would seem that it would be equally, if not more, valuable to be able to run it on limited access passwords so that one could find where they run into premission problems. I was hoping that Run with Full Premissions would take care of that, but it does not... Also, why can't you modify a script if you have script modify permission (but not full access) and the script is set to run with full priviledges??

if you could modify a script with full privileges, then you could change that script to do whatever you want... not just what the developer intended. Like say you added a script step at the end that deleted all the records in a table...

Also, the debugger does work on non-full access accounts, but only for scripts where the user has modify permissions, and the script cannot be set to run with full access.

Also the debugger allows you to skip script steps, so the user who can run debugger can bypass all condtional checks you put in, like IFs checking for privilege set,...

So they wouldn't even have to modify a script to wreak havoc in your data.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have run into the problem of debugging an error on a non-full-permissions account. It's nearly impossible.

What's missing from the debugger is this: The ability for a full-access user to masquerade as another user while running a script. Just like the "run this script with full access" checkbox, the debugger should have a "run this script as user X" option, which would allow you to debug the problem, while still having full permissions for editing the script.

When I've had to do this, and I agree it's a bit of a pain, but I can't see anyway around it, I added the clause " or Get ( PrivilegeSetName ) = "[Full Access]" in the If [test].

Then I remembered to comment it out when I was done (hopefully, there's the rub).

It would also be useful if FM gave a real error message to the client or in a log file, something like this:

"Error: In File MyDatabase, script DoMyStuff, line 34, could not access field Price because user jsmith (group Staff) does not have Write permission"

This topic is 6323 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.