Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Password Protect a Site

This topic is 8662 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have recently developed an intranet where our team can access different DB's from the web. I have each of the databases password protected (and I'm using the Web Security DB), and have used HomePage 3.0 to design the site - is there a way that I can password the index.htm page of the site? Either with a JavaScript or something within Filemaker? I'm hoping to add the extra wall of security.

this site has great HTML help including Password Protection. I haven't looked through this tutorial but based on all of the ones i have used, it should work fine.

www.htmlgoodies.com

The site is so large that it can be at times frustrating to find the tutorial your looking for. If you click on master list at the bottom of the left column, it will show you a list of all the types of tutorials and articles. Here is the address for the password protection tutorial.

http://htmlgoodies.earthweb.com/tutors/pw.html

Enjoy,

Jeremy

• 3 weeks later...

The only time that Web Companion asks for a password is when a -find, -FindAny, -New, -delete or -Edit action is performed (note that -View does not ask for a password).

The simple answer is that you cannot password protect the index.html file through FMP or Web Companion. (You can do it at a server level by restricting domains and IP numbers but that is another issue and proboably isn't what you want anyway.) instead you've gotta do it in two steps...

1. People land at index.html, a normal static web page that has *nothing* on it except a link (and a meta redirect if you want). The link (or redirect) point to a FMP url that includes a -FindAny action.

2. When this -FindAny action is performed, Web Companion will request a password. People cannot see anything else unless they have the right password.

Firstly turn the sharing setting in FMP to 'Multi-User-Hidden' so people can access the file without being able to open the db. You can use a cgi-perl script if your server runs perl. A good password script is 'protect2035' at www.maze.se/freeware/. What I do is to add a user name field in FMP and match it to the user name field in the perl access script. If you know a bit of basic coding you can edit the perl script to pass the user name as a token and match it to the user name field in FMP. i.e. the token is the user name. You solve two issues, 1 you have a secure access point, 2 you can track access to present user specific information.

This topic is 8662 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.