Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Calculation for variable number

This topic is 6249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am attempting to come up with a calculation that allows a field to automatically be inserted with a number when another field is filled in, example would be a number amount that is put in to a field lets say 1,000 and what i would like to have happen is the next field would automatically be filled in with the appropriate number lets say if you insert a number between 200-1000 "it would vary between that number" the second field would need to say 5 as an example, i have played around with this for a while but cannot get it. any ideas would be greatley appreciated.

Thanks

if you insert a number between 200-1000 "it would vary between that number" the second field would need to say 5

Yes. Your second field would be an Auto-Enter (Replace) calculation. This means that it will perform the math on the first field whenever the first field meets the criteria specified in Field2's calculation.

Field1 contains 100

Example1 (mathematics): You want Field2 to become 2 1/2 percent of that.

So Field2 would be standard number. Select Options. Insert the following:

[color:green]Field1 * .025

It will default as a number result. At the bottom also, LEAVE CHECKED "Do not Evaluate if all referenced Fields are empty." Then say OK to exit calc dialog. Now, back at Auto-Enter tab, UNCHECK box which says, "Do Not Replace Existing Value for Field, if any." If Field1 is blank, nothing will appear in Field2 (because it is the ONLY field and you left checked, "Do not evaluate if all referenced fields are empty." But if a User inserts (or changes) a value into Field1, Field2 will compute the correct number (because you have unchecked "Do not Replace Existing Value."

Example2 (Case statement):

If Field1 is less than 200, it should be blank.

Field1 values between 200 and 1000 should produce 5 in Field2.

Field1 values 1000 and 5000 should produce 10 in Field2.

If Field1 is over 5000, it should be 20.

[color:green]If ( Field1 :great: 200 ;

Case (

Field1 < 1000 ; 5 ;

Field1 < 5000 ; 10 ;

)

)

Read up in FM Help on specific examples using Case(). Does that help? If you need assistance with the specific formula, let us know what it is and we'll help you with it. :wink2:

LaRetta

Edited by Guest
Added second example

Unless this second number needs to be manually overwritten, use a straight calculation field instead of an auto-entered field. The exact same expression should work for the calc.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to be more clear.

I create a new record, and in field 1, i input a number between $200 to $1,000. when i click off the screen i need the number 17 to pop up in the second field.also an amount between $1,001 to $3,000 to input 9 in the second field. and 3,001 through 6,000 in the first field to have 6 pop up in the second field, you get the Idea. this needs to be a calculation but i cannot get my attempts to work, any Ideas?

Thank you

It worked, thank you so much, I have another one for you now that issue is resolved.

In field 1 i input $1,000. and in field 3 i need for the interest rate of that field to equal a percentage of what is in Field 1 IE; 1,000 times 16% equals 160. or it could be 3,000 in field 1 and 8% of Field 1 or any variations of numbers because there not all the same. any ideas?

Calculation within a newly created record.

In field 1 i input $1,000. and in field 2 i need for the interest rate of that field to equal a percentage of what is in Field 1 IE; 1,000 times 16% equals 160. or it could be 3,000 in field 1 and 8% of Field 1 or any variations of numbers because there not all the same. any ideas?

This topic is 6249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.