Server Maintenance This Week. ×

relationships screen sooo slow to load - what are your specs?

kiwiora

This topic is 6259 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm going to get IT to upgrade my PC. When i go into relationship layout it's so slow to navigate around it's ridiculous. Attached is example of my relationships - as soon as I drag a TO it sits there and tries to re-draw everything ack.

I have a Dual Core Pentium 2.8ghz, 500mb of Ram running Windows XP. Stock standard video driver - IT guy argues that upgrading this won't make a difference :)

1.jpg

Your IT guys could be right. My impression (no real studies done) is the FMP gets very slow when refreshing any kind of window that contains a lot of material. Whether this is an FMP problem or a video driver problem I'm not sure but my money is on an FMP problem. It could be RAM but I'd be surprised; I have 1Gb but FMP never uses much of it, certainly not enough to suggest 500Mb might be a problem.

(Is that application something to do with Queensland politics and who knows whom?)

Are you working on the file locally or remotely? I agree with your IT guy too, i work fine on a file with a lot more TO's than that -- 2.7GHz, 1GB ram laptop.

Edited by Guest

I seem to be recognizing what your solution is aiming at, you use a lot of calc'fields as keys for relations that perhaps could borrow the gist of this principle instead:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/176396/post/204083/hl//

Think of for a while - that calc'fields are unique to filemaker as application ...and filemaker isn't the sole application to develope a solution in the vicinity of what you want.

We have all in our first solutions made structurally mayhems, only to think just a short while later that something simpler might do! Perhaps you need to reread Harris explanations??

--sd

I have to pull the data back to specific field names so I can export that information and merge it into word.

i.e on one side i need to know what date A, date B, and date C equal so when i merge into a letter it says

[We wrote to you on "Date A" and advised you on "Date B". The date of xyz is "Date C"] type thing.

So the other table is just "type" and "date" and on the current it just says if "type" = "A" just pulls back what the LATEST date is of the relationship.

I hope that makes sense (it's a lot more involved than that lol).

Oldfogey - close but no cigar, it's representative of our f[censored]d up legal system ;-)

I don't wanna tell our IT guy that more RAM won't work *pout* I want a bigger faster machine hehe.

I don't wanna tell our IT guy that more RAM won't work *pout* I want a bigger faster machine hehe.

So after you find the solution, dont let him know. Get him to update your machine and then ta-da you show him its fixed. :) The upgrade must have done it! lol.

So after you find the solution, dont let him know. Get him to update your machine and then ta-da you show him its fixed. :) The upgrade must have done it! lol.

That's what i'm talking about : :(

And I need a 21" screen.. that would help wouldn't it? :yay: :clap:

[We wrote to you on "Date A" and advised you on "Date B". The date of xyz is "Date C"] type thing.

Couldn't it be solved a little more transaction'ish by means of say this CF:

http://www.briandunning.com/cf/308

...not something to throw such a web of relations after, to get all represented in one single document for printing, there are alternatively the opertunity to cut up a portal into single lines where each might have it's own set of fields shown and styled.

--sd

Edited by Guest

So, Kiwiora, you presented the wrong problem! It's not a technical problem but a political one. All you need do is re-enter your original post, we'll all respond agreeing that you need a bigger better machine, you show your IT guy and Bob's y'r uncle!

:yay:

We could start a business ... "Convince your Boss while you wait." Heck, we'd even email the responses directly to Management for people. ROFLMAO!

Love it, Paul!

This topic is 6259 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.