Server Maintenance This Week. ×

CDML and scripts

This topic is 8611 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have created a Filemaker database which I am trying to convert into a website using custom web publishing.

I am having trouble understanding how my Filemaker scripts work with CDML.

The key to my database is a script that checks to see if the person has already created a record (based on a random number password assigned).

It looks like this

Go to Field ["gPassword"]

If ["IsValid(stureg::Password)"]

Go to Layout ["Student info"]

If ["IsValid"(svote::Password)"]

Go to Layout ["duplicate vote error"]

Else

Go to Layout ["Votever"]

End If

Else

Go to Layout ["error"]

End If

Set Field ["Password", "gPassword"]

I am trying to figure out if I need to use If/else statements in CDML, or can the script run and return error messages sending the user to the appropriate error page?

Am I totally out of my head for trying to do this?

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Making something like that script work through the web could be very hard indeed.

Try getting the same or similar functionality by performing a simple -Find action, or using field-level validation. I recently achieved a similar thing for a voting system. It used the sender's IP number (with the [FMP-ClientIP] tag and a field to hold it in the database). I then set the IP number field's validation to "unique" and now the database only allows one record to be created from any one computer on the internet.

No, the system is not infallible since IP numbers rotate around ISP users. But it's a simple system that helps prevent problems when users hit ther back buttons and click send again.

Alternatives that would be more robust include unique e-mail addresses, or student ID numbers or whatever. But the IP numbers were convenient for me because my target group is on a fixed IPnumber intranet.

This topic is 8611 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.