Case of the disappearing cookie

This topic is 8594 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is strange. I have a database with CDML pages that I'm serving on the web. If the database and the CDML pages are in the same directory and I set a cookie, it sets properly. If, however, I move the CDML pages to a subdirectory and leave the database in the main directory, it doesn't set the cookie. I thought that cookies were set on the browser machine. Confused with this one.

To solve your cookie problem you'll need to post the code that generates the cookies themselves. Also, some browsers have a preference that only accepts cookies that are returned to the same domain (or something). test the situation on another computer and/or browser to see if the problem reoccurs.

Now, regarding server file locations...

FileMaker Inc have a TechInfo article that discusses the location of database (TechInfo Article #105670 "Downloading a database from a Browser" at http://www.filemaker.com/support/techinfo.html))

It specifically states that only the html format files *need* to be kept in the Web folder, and that keeping the database files in the web folder is a security risk because they can be downloaded by any user simply by typing in the file's name.

I keep my database files in a "database" folder outside the web folder but on the same level.

[This message has been edited by Vaughan (edited November 06, 2000).]

quote:

Originally posted by Vaughan:

To solve your cookie problem you'll need to post the code that generates the cookies themselves. Also, some browsers have a preference that only accepts cookies that are returned to the same domain (or something). test the situation on another computer and/or browser to see if the problem reoccurs.

Now, regarding server file locations...

FileMaker Inc have a TechInfo article that discusses the location of database (TechInfo Article #105670 "Downloading a database from a Browser" at
)

It specifically states that only the html format files *need* to be kept in the Web folder, and that keeping the database files in the web folder is a security risk because they can be downloaded by any user simply by typing in the file's name.

I keep my database files in a "database" folder outside the web folder but on the same level.

[This message has been edited by Vaughan (edited November 06, 2000).]

Thanks lots Vaughan!! That article was very very informative. I didn't know that. I will attempt to move the database files immediately. But one question, if I move it, will it affect my cookie like what I said? Thanks again for your very helpful advice.

I don't think that moving the database file location should affect cookies, since as far as Web Companion is concerned the db is open and that's all that matters.

Check your cookie code, I tend to leave the path option empty and they always wor for me.

quote:

Originally posted by Vaughan:

I don't think that moving the database file location should affect cookies, since as far as Web Companion is concerned the db is open and that's all that matters.

Check your cookie code, I tend to leave the path option empty and they always wor for me.

Thanks for the advice. I did leave the path option open. Maybe the trick was that I was supposed to set the path? Well when I move the database I will try to see if it works as is. Thanks again for the great advice.

This topic is 8594 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.