Multi-layered Conditional Value List

This topic is 6166 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Okay, I'm still perplexed. I've read through many of the value-list posts and I am still confused. I want to create a multi-layered value list. The list is hierarchical and has up to seven layers. (The list is the state of California's educational content standards). Items in the last layer (i.e. the seventh layer) are unique and I would like them to be displayed in a portal. I am setting this up as a find and not a way to add or delete data.

I have downloaded John Mark Osborne's .zip file of Countries and Autos, but, unfortunately, still unable to figure it out. I have watched Osborne's video on FMP 8 Intermediate (through www.vtc.com). His video series is very helpful and I was able to create one conditional value list from that but unable to work my way through the hierarchy (i.e. I couldn't create a second-tiered level, let alone a third, fourth, fifth-level, etc).

This has been terribly frustrating for me and I'm sure it is equally frustrating for all of you who have already answered this question.

So there it is. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Dan

Thanks for your reply, Stuart. I'll try to explain.

The content standards are listed in an outline form (see http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/enggrade2.asp for an example of the 2nd grade English-language Arts standards). There were no headings on the outline, so I created headings and made a record out of each (via MSExcel). In an outline form it looks like this (with my arbitrary headings in <>):

I. (English-language Arts, History, Math, Science)

A.

i.

a.

a).

:(.

c).

2. etc.

3. etc.

b. etc.

c. etc.

ii. etc.

iii. etc.

B. etc.

C. etc.

The above URL would look like this:

English-language Arts

Reading (there are three other )

1.0 Word Analysis, Fluency, and Systematic Vocabulary Development

Students understand the basic features of reading. They select letter patterns and know how to translate them into spoken language by using phonics, syllabication, and word parts. They apply this knowledge to achieve fluent oral and silent reading.

Decoding and Word Recognition

1.1 Recognize and use knowledge of spelling patterns (e.g., diphthongs, special vowel spellings) when reading.

1.2 Apply knowledge of basic syllabication rules when reading (e.g., vowel-consonant-vowel = su/ per; vowel-consonant/consonant-vowel = sup/ per).

1.3 Decode two-syllable nonsense words and regular multisyllable words.

1.4 Recognize common abbreviations (e.g., Jan., Sun., Mr., St.).

1.5 Identify and correctly use regular plurals (e.g., -s, -es, -ies) and irregular plurals (e.g., fly/ flies, wife/ wives).

1.6 Read aloud fluently and accurately and with appropriate intonation and expression.

Vocabulary and Concept Development

1.7 Understand and explain common antonyms and synonyms.

1.8 Use knowledge of individual words in unknown compound words to predict their meaning.

1.9 Know the meaning of simple prefixes and suffixes (e.g., over-, un-, -ing, -ly).

1.10 Identify simple multiple-meaning words.

Admittedly, the can be incorporated into the ...maybe not using the same field, but it does not need to be one of the value lists. Also, some are further divided into a). :B. c). (I labeled those as ).

I would like to create a series of conditional value lists that will guide the user to a particular competency, moving from general () to specific ( [ or when appropriate]).

Hope this makes some sense.

Thanks.

Dan

Daniel

I am not sure if this is what you want but I do this when finding our welders qualifcation.

there are five criteria to a welder's qualifciation.

ID number

WPS number

Date tested

Pipe size

Pipe thickness

I have five global fields with a value list attached to four fields.

You enter the welder's ID number and the next field displays a value list that has only the WPS number that the welder used in qualification. When you chose the wps number then the value list for the next field displays only the dates that the welder test using that WPS and so on.

this is how I complished this and if anyone has a better idea please left me know.

1)The first value list is based on a relationship base on the welder's ID

2)The second value list is based on a relationship base on the welder's ID and the wps number.

3) the third value list is based on a relationship base on the welder's ID, the wps number and the date tested

4) the fourth value list is based on the relationship base on the welder's ID, the wps number, date tested, and pipesize.

This narrow down each value list as you work your way down the fields.

Hope this helps.

Lionel

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who repsonded. I've been working on other elements of the database (avoiding that which stymies me). Now it is time to tackle this hierarchal list. I'm going to try Comment's suggestion first (thanks for the links). I will post here again and let people reading this thread know how it turns out.

This topic is 6166 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.