Server Maintenance This Week. ×

automate script running

This topic is 6206 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am putting together an employee time off DB. I am trying to set it up so that a script will look to see if anyone has submitted a request in the past hour and then send an email to the supervisor. That email would let them know that someone submitted a request. I am looking for help to understand how a script can be running without having to click on a button to tell it to run.

You could set up global fields for the entry of data. Then set up a button to submit the data which would set all the live fields with the data from the globals. At the end of the submit script just have it send a email to the supervisor.

HTH

I had a brain shutdown and forgot to put that it will be accessed from the internet. It says the Send Mail is not web compatible. Is it still possible to run a script that will run on the main computer and still send emails anyway or am I wasting my time. I do not have it set up to run on the internet yet or else I would just try it out.

I'd second AudioFreak's recommendation. It's the easiest way to do it.

However, if you want to get a little crazy and creative, you could do a "bulk" dump with an external trigger. Automator works pretty well. Unfortunately that's a Mac-only program. You just need Automator to trigger a file or a script within the current file you are running. You can do it with Applescript, too.

Another way that I used to do triggering was with the TROI Activator plug-in. It's a really powerful plug-in for FileMaker that allows you to schedule scripts (like emailing reminders at a pre-determined time) or to trigger scripts on field validation. It's a really cool plug-in but costs some money. And depending on your skill level, it can be a little confusing to use. Info on it here:

http://www.troi.com/software/activatorplugin.html

Again, I'll second AudioFreak's recommendation. You can't go wrong that way.

What if you had a file that was not web enabled. You could then just have a script in the web based one call a script in the non web enabled file that alerts the supervisor that there are records submitted.

Not sure if that would work as I have not set up any files web enabled before. It does sound as if it would though.

This topic is 6206 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.