Server Maintenance This Week. ×

a portal from related calculations

csharpmin

This topic is 6196 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm working on a database solution for my babysitting business. Things are coming along nicely, but I'm having a problem showing data in a portal. The portal is based on the table occurence Job_SitterAvailability. The portal should show what sitters are available for a given job. The 2 tables have 2 joins: JobDate=AvailableDate (which shows what sitters are a availble for a job based on date) and YoungestChild_n > ChildOlderThan_n (which limits the available sitters based on the youngest age child they are willing to sit for versus the age of the client's youngest child.) Job_SitterAvailability portal works fine with just the date match, the child portion makes the whole table occurence not work though. I should mention that both YoungestChild_n and ChildOlderThan_n are calculations based on related tables. I may very well have "evaluate from the context of..." tables wrong, or maybe it's a relationship problem. I should mention that if I replace the calculations with number fields, it works fine.

I've attached a pretty bare-bones version of the file I'm working with. I highlighted the fields I think are relevant.

I hope someone can help me. This has been frustrating me for days.

Thanks

Sitters_test_5.zip

I got a little confused looking at your file. I think you need to lookup the sitter's age preference into the Availability table, so that it can be stored and used for a relationship. It's also sensible, in a way, since sitters can change their mind, and this will affect only future records in Availability.

I tried what you suggested by making it a lookup, but that still didn't fix the Job_SitterAvailability portal. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I still need help. I'm not sure if the problem is in the relationship structure (Do I need a self-join?) or a problem with the related calculations that make up the relationship?

In the included file I highlighted the fields and portal that are most relevant.

Could anyone suggest any examples that base relationships on calculations from related tables?

This topic is 6196 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.