Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Summarizing... I think.

life036

This topic is 6196 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello All,

I've got a database that tracks volunteer information and a related table that tracks the hours the volunteers put in. Each record in the related table only tracks the Department, Month, and how many hours they put in for that month (no date fields involved, strictly text and number).

How can I summarize all of the hours for all volunteers (separately and all together), and also split up by which department the hours were for?

I'm so confused, I don't know where to start!

Thanks,

Chris

You would want to do this in the tracking file. Create subsummary reports and group it by department and volunteerID.

Create a new layout based in the Hours file, change it to a List View layout. On the layout, add parts for Sub-Summary by Department and Trailing Grand Summary. Then add a field definition for a summary Total of Hours. Insert that field on the Sub-Summary and Training Grand Summary. If you want to show the detail Hours for each Month, leave the body part on there (shrink it to one line) and add the summary Total, otherwise remove the whole Body part entirely. Put the Department field on the Department part. Put your labels on the Header.

When the records in the found set are sorted by Department, the sub-summary parts will show in Preview Mode and printouts.

This topic is 6196 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.