Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 4482 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Am writing an EMR solution using FM advanced 8.5. Part of the EMR is billing section that i would like to have electronically transmitted to payers and not paper claims. In order to have that i have to be able to plug my solution to the payers EDI which uses a standard ANSI ASC X12 protocol.

Are there any links or articles that can help me in approaching this issue.

I have been looking for a possible solution like you are asking. My problem is that I have no mathematical understanding of the X 12 format and don't have a lot of time to learn it either !

I have made the billing part but not X 12 export yet !

Let me know if you find any clues ? Check the HIPA section also on this site.

Xoomaster

There are X12 translators you can google some of those on the net, i thought that if you can export your EMR as XML from FM then translate it to X12 to connect to the payer's EDI, then when you receive the answer you can translate it back from X12 to XML, i think it could be done, clearinghouses are doing it . I just need to know where to start.

Here is a site where you can download a free trial version translator: www.xtranslator.com

But my wish list would be for FM to have ANSI X12 as an export option which will increase their revenue since the standards for HIPAA are now more towards bypassing the clearinghouses and allowing providers to connect easier and directly with payers.

I think the only reasonable way is to actually script the output from filemaker instead of exporting it to EDI. I think one of these days I will break down and buy the specifications from the site above. The only problem is that you have to dedicate quite a bit of time to devekop this. My HCFA or CMS 1500 form has a lot of fields and imagine correlating those with X12 calculation and scripts. It is just a lot of work.

I wish there was a Plug in : Any developers out there :

One reason for Plug in instead of scripting is the speed !

Are you a physician ? what specialty ?

If any one can direct me to a third party plug-in to FM that will allow it to be x12 translator, so that will be more native to FM and will be more compatible than a completely foreign translator. Also it could be faster than importing and exporting.

I would think that someone out there is working on it please keep us posted.

• 1 month later...

IBM WTX , (was DataStage by acsential)comes with HIPAA pack the you can add. you input data as flat file that you can easily get from your filemaker emr and run it through the maps available in the pack. the nice think about it that you can validate and test with the modules in the health pack and you have 7 levels of testing. to me i see it the answer.

• 1 year later...

Welcome back.

I was working on a similar project last year. Just to warn you, in the state I was working in (AR) they did not accept unicode files!

So I got my entire project done, exported beautiful 837 files for submission, completely in filemaker. But I still needed a third party program to Resave as plain text, since FMP can only export field contents as UNICODE. Doh!

Jerry

• 2 years later...

Hi, thanks for providing the zip file. Could you explain how to export the data to include the necessary records and fields from each table? I am a physician like some of you, hoping for a way to perform my own EDI transactions directly with payers.

This topic is 4482 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.