Server Maintenance This Week. ×

navigation from parent to child

JRStudent

This topic is 6182 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I have a parent table and a child table. The parent table has a number key called CLID and the child table has a number key called CHID. In the child table I have a second number field called CLID so that in the Relationship I can link the parent and the child. On the Relationship screen it looks good, the parent and child have a one-to-many relationship. Am I doing ok so far?

Then on the layout for the parent, I have a button which I would like to navigate to the related child records. So I went through the steps in the setup, related field, specify the record and layout, options: show only related records and match current record only.

Is this right? It must not be because it doesn't work. When I press the button on the parent layout in browse it doesn't go anywhere. Maybe because there are no related records currently in the child table? I need a way to add records if there aren't any currently.

Thank you. You guys have really been helping me!!

What I'm seeing is that on the parent layout you have a portal to the child. On that portal you can enter a value for a child (the child id is automatically entered) then you can go to related record (gtrr button) where presumably you would enter more info into child record.

The portal is required for entering a child attached to the parent?

Sorry, I'm feeling like a dummy on this. The reference book I have doesn't address it.

The portal is just ONE method to create a child, and automatically assign it to the current parent record (note that the relationship is set to allow this). But you can also create a new child in the Child table, and assign it manually to a parent. Or you could have a script do this for you.

This topic is 6182 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.