Database Gone...

This topic is 6157 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

:confused:

I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but I didn't know where to post.

A client of mine just phoned me - he has been using a database I created to help run his non-profit organization. This morning he tried to open the file and found that the file itself had disappeared. Literally. No file. No nothing. It wasn't even in the trash. It's a totally bizarre thing.

We believe it was a computer glitch, or who knows what, but I told him I'd ask around, just in case, to see if anyone else had had this happen to their FileMaker files ever.

My client has already had a computer tech guy try to recover the file, but it's nowhere to be found. I have an earlier backup file, so it's not a complete loss, just a lot of work to input all his lost information.

I just want to make sure it's not something weird that FileMaker has been known to do sometimes. (I myself have never had any trouble.)

Vaughan, you're horrible.

Seriously, many times a user has a shortcut on their desktop that gets deleted. Perhaps using the Search File feature from the Start menu will find the missing file. Or...maybe it was the flex-capacitor.

Check that your client is logging onto the machine as the correct user. The database maybe under someone elses profile.

You could also check the flux-capacitor. The one with fractal-shaped perimeters is often found to be dodgy. Replace it with a lateral modifying capacitor.

;) Thanks, guys.

Sounds like the user wasn't closing out the database, just minimizing it all the time - the tech guy here thinks the file got corrupted.

Live and learn - my client will be backing up all his files now! I'll, uh...be sure to mention the other possibilities, too. :

This topic is 6157 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.