Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Screen sizes and page size

BrendanK

This topic is 6144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

FM 6

Database running over Macs of all ages -eMacs, iMacs (anglepoise, standard screen and widescreen models), G4 towers with 17, 19 and 24 inch screens. Current design of database layout seems based on 12" screen in use when dbase was written.

I am not a programmer, but maintaining the database/ work record has fallen to me. Is there an elegant (and easy) way of maximising the layout area that will optimise/maximise the layout for these various screensizes?

Currently the onscreen size is only a portion of the screen real estate available.

Dragging the bottom right corner of layout when in BROWSE reveals part of next record. Can this be avoided by somehow locking out the ability of end user to 'stretch' the Browse window?

Changing magnification is not the answer. I would like to utilise any extra space to clean up a busy Data Entry screen

I suppose I'm really looking for a way of defining an optimum layout size that the smallest screen can cope with?

So many questions....

FileMaker 9 introduces the ability for layout objects to resize with the window. While it has some limitations, it's very nice and will go far to doing what you want. The alternative is to design multiple versions of the screen layouts, each for a diferent size, and use scripted navigation to select the right size for the current window. This is nice but it's a lot of work, and a maintenance load.

"Dragging the bottom right corner of layout when in BROWSE reveals part of next record."

Only if the layout is in List view. Change it to Form view.

I suppose I'm really looking for a way of defining an optimum layout size that the smallest screen can cope with?

Greetings Brendan!

We had a pretty useful discussion about this very topic over in the Cafe a little while back. It's good reading:

http://www.filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php?t=11390

• Newbies

Thanks for these tips.

How could one achieve this...

A field (dropdown value 1-5) to indicate the Proofreading stage of a document. I can cope with that, but it would ideally have an associated datestamp for each stage.

stage 1 May 1

Stage 2 May 5

Stage 3 May 7 etc

Thanks in advance for your input

Brendan

This topic is 6144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.