Server Maintenance This Week. ×

relationships and lookups PLEASE HELP!!

This topic is 6102 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm trying to set up a system where I can type in a client name and their address from the client address/phone number database will pop up into an ordering service. I've already linked them, and did an "auto-fill" with the lookup to the former database, but nothing seems to work.

Thank you for your help!

- mL

We'll need a bit more information, like how the addresses are stored, and what the relationships are between the tables.

Best way is to create an Account Number field in both databases (or tables), set up a relationship based on that, then set the address, etc. fields to be autofill by lookup.

Type in the account number, other fields fill in when you tab out of the acct # field. Can work with name field as the key field for the relationship, but the text must be entered EXACTLY for it to work.

Hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...

SoCalMacDude,

Thanks for posting this... your solution solved a similar issue that I had in common with the original poster. This raises a problem though... what happens if you don't happen to know the account ID (or in my case, the client id) off the top of your head (particularly if you have plenty of account ids/clients ids). Curious, how would you go about finding out what the account ID is

and transferring said info back to the ordering service DB?

I have some thoughts but I was wondering what you and some of the other FM proficient forum participants methodology might be.

TIA.

Jack

This topic is 6102 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.