Hierarchical portal problem

This topic is 6082 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a db that uses a series of hierarchical portals (or filtered portals). The portals are different tables and they relate to table called CS (Content Standard). The hierarchy works fine. It goes through Grade, Subject, Area, Topic, Subtopic, Benchmark, and Benchmark Component.

The CS T.O. is related to a T.O. (based on a separate table) called "People." I want to show the results of the hierarchy in a portal on the "People_Form" layout. This works fine except for one thing: the subject field always show the first item in the subject portal (which is "English-Language Arts"). The rest of the hierarchy is fine.

The file is too big, even when I put it into a .zip format (2.75MB). I am happy to email it to anyone.

Can anyone shed any light on this phenomenon?

Thanks.

dan

Thanks for the response, bcooney. Initially I thought only the first field was popping back to the first portal row, but I now see that all of the related portal records are bouncing back to the first item in the portal row.

Attached are three screen shots (in .pdf format).

The file is available upon request - just too big to put on here. I will see if eliminating some of the graphics and non-essential tables will make the file smaller. In the meantime, attached are three screen shots.

Thanks.

dan

Relationship_Diagram.pdf

Content_Standard.pdf

Have a look at this example file. I think you need one interface to define the relationships [just table views in the sample], and then on the Person layout, a portal that creates their CS. Study the value lists and the relationships that are used to create them.

I haven't added any checks to see that they don't enter duplicates, but that could be done by creating a calc of all the ids (G1S1A1T1) and using field validation to ensure that it's unique.

I would welcome another approach if anyone's not too busy, lol.

CS.fp7.zip

This topic is 6082 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.